Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fanatacism versus Devout - what is the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fanatacism versus Devout - what is the difference?

Apolyton has periodic threads about gay rights, and those on the Christian right who would deny them any kind of legal protection against discrimination, and villify them for who they are/lifestyle. We've also had discussion about radical Islam ad infinitum, just look at the recent thread about the execution of juveniles in Iran. The real problem, though, is that there is this tendency in people, very pronounced among the deeply religious, to engage in these behaviors. However, even among the deeply religious, there are many who do not approve of what they see as intolerance.

So how do you define Fanatic, especially versus Devout? Both have a deep and abiding belief in God. However, there is a difference. Most simply put, at least from my perspective, the Fanatic is exterior focused, the Devout interior focused. The Fanatic wishes to impose their beliefs, the Devout is more concerned with their own dialogue with God, and what they can do to help others.

If you look at this definition, I believe it is a very practical litmus test. Thus, for example, those who state that "Gay marraige is a threat to the sanctity of marraige." is exterior focused, that is, focuses on those people as a threat. They pass the fanatic text, with flying colors. If instead they focus on living a Christian marraige, they are interior focused, and devout.

This also applies to other areas. The PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) type who want to ban everyone from eating meat is a fanatic, i.e. exterior focused. The Vegan who is careful about all the products they purchase, who recycles, and who works at the Animal Rescue Shelter is dedicated (versus devout - same concept, slightly different application), or however you would apply the term(s) here. I think this is a useful working definition.
    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Devout - Forces his beliefs on himself.
    Fanatic - Forces his beliefs on others.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
      Fanatic - Forces his beliefs on others.
      I'm very tempted to bring up the circumcision issue, but I won't
      The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

kthxbye

devout = going to the mosque a lot, wearing the right clothes, abiding by the rules of islam etc.

fanatic = 'hello my name is abdul' *BOOOOOOOOM*
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
        X