Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another planet(oid)!

Cool.

I wonder how many of those Kuiper belt objects are around there, anyway?
    urgh.NSFW

IM sure thousands of pluto and below sized planet-(oids) .. the thing is, most of them probably don't come anywhere as near as pluto, and if they are on eliptical orbits, they may only venture close enough to be detected every few thousand years.
    "Wherever wood floats, you will find the British" . Napoleon

Comment

I don't know why, But I like the little buggers very much.

So now, Quauauauaor, Pluto, Sedna, and this new kid.

cool
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

These new objects being discovered really put Pluto down as a non-planet IMO.

Comment

How have we defined planet, again? a big spheric lump of matter with a diameter larger than a certain arbitrary size?

Then yes. If we define, say 2000 miles in diamtere. but then Luna is a planet ( I agree with this, btw)
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

It has to orbit the sun, does it not...
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

a) a sun, not necessarily sol.
              b) I don't agree with that, either. I think that if it's pretty huge, round, and isn't a has-been star, or an actual living star, it's a planet.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Our sun is a type two star. The Earth is made from heavy elements that were created from a type one star that went nova or collapsed a while ago. Therefore, according to your opinion we don't live on a planet...
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

by "has been star" I wasn't referring to nova debri, but to white dwarfs, neutron stars, and crap like that.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                    How have we defined planet, again? a big spheric lump of matter with a diameter larger than a certain arbitrary size?

Then yes. If we define, say 2000 miles in diamtere. but then Luna is a planet ( I agree with this, btw)
                    I would'nt have a definition as such, just take each instance, individually and asses (sp) it.

To me Pluto loses out on it size and it's eliptical orbit.

If Pluto is a planet then why not Charon? they orbit a common centre of gravity that, unlike the Earth and the Moon, is actually outside the larger body.

Comment

They're a binary planet.

Agreed. while I don't think that the orbit has anything to do with it ( again, I don't like tying planets to circling suns ), Pluto isn't a planet. It's just too damn small.

Btw, previously I stated Sedna is a Kuiper Belt object - this isn't the case.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Luna does orbit the Sun.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Az

I think the diameter of Mercury is a convenient (if arbitrary) cut-off point, large enough so we don't eventually end up with two dozen Kuiper Belt objects labeled "Major Planets"

Comment

Originally posted by Az

I'd say that it has to contain within it the center of mass of it and all other objects sharing its orbit - to eliminate moons.

Comment

I thought anything large enough to be spherical under its own gravity and circling a star in its own orbital plane was a planet. This definition excludes comets, asteroids, moons, and Kuiper belt objects.

Kuiper Belt objects, like a large asteroid, has not cleared out its orbital plane (think early Earth). So it is considered part of the belt for now. Pluto is seperate from the belt so it can be considered a planet.

A moon orbits a planet. Many moons can qualify as a planet but they would have to orbit a star instead of a planet.
                              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                              2004 Presidential Candidate
                              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                              X