X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Games Champion's Blind

I thought this was neat

Blind teen amazes with video game ability

LINCOLN, Nebraska (AP) -- Brice Mellen is a whiz at video games such as "Mortal Kombat."

In that regard, the 17-year-old isn't much different from so many others his age.

Except for one thing: He's blind.

And as he easily dispatched foes who took him on recently at a Lincoln gaming center, the affable and smiling Mellen remained humble.

"I can't say that I'm a superpro," he said, working the controller like an extension of his body. "I can be beat."

Those bold enough to challenge him weren't so lucky. One by one, while playing "Soul Caliber 2," their video characters were decapitated, eviscerated and gutted without mercy by Mellen's on-screen alter ego.

"I'm getting bored," Mellen said in jest as he won game after game.

Blind since birth when his optic nerve didn't connect because of Leber's disease, Mellen honed his video game skills over the years through patient and not-so-patient playing, memorizing key joystick operations and moves in certain games, asking lots of questions and paying particular attention to audio cues. He worked his way up from games such as "Space Invaders" and "Asteroid," onto the modern combat games.

"I guess I don't know how I do it, really," Mellen said, as he continued playing while facing away from the screen. "It's beyond me."

Mellen knows this much: He started playing at home when he was about 7.

"He enjoyed trying to play, but he wasn't very good at first," said his father, Larry Mellen. "But he just kept on trying. ... He's broken a lot of controllers."

When the question of broken controllers comes up, Mellen flashes a smile and just shrugs.

"I used to have quite a temper," he said. "Me and controllers didn't get along very well."

Now they get along just fine.

While playing "Soul Caliber 2," Mellen worked his way through the introductory screens with ease, knowing exactly what to click to start the game he wanted.

He rarely asked for help. Once the game started he didn't need any help.

"How do I move?" an exasperated opponent, Ryan O'Banion, asked during a battle in which his character is frozen in place.

"You can't," Mellen answered before finishing him off.

"That's what happens. It's why I don't play him," O'Banion said after his blood-spattered character's corpse vanishes from the screen.

How Mellen became so good is a mystery to his father.

"He just sat there and he tried and tried until he got it right," Larry Mellen said. "He didn't ever complain to me or anyone about how hard it was."

Mellen hangs out any chance he gets at the DogTags Gaming Center in Lincoln, which opened last month. Every now and then someone will come in and think he can easily beat the blind kid.

That attitude doesn't faze Mellen.

"I'll challenge them, maybe. If I feel like a challenge," he said, displaying an infectious confidence. "I freak people out by playing facing backwards."

There's nothing he likes better than playing video games, Mellen said.

He will be a senior in high school next year. After graduation, he plans to take a year off because he wants a break from school.

When he does go to college, Mellen wants to study video game design.

Find this article at:
    This part just cracks me up -
    "I'll challenge them, maybe. If I feel like a challenge," he said, displaying an infectious confidence. "I freak people out by playing facing backwards."
    Who is Barinthus?

Pinball Wizard!!!

Wow.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I'll challenge him for a civ MP game...
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

pinball wizard is right

i wanna challenge him to NHL 2005, or somesuch where he doesnt have much of a chance.
        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Ever since I was a young boy
          I've played the silver ball
          From Soho down to Brighton
          I must have played them all
          But I ain't seen nothing like him
          In any amusement hall
          That deaf, dumb and blind kid
          Sure plays a mean pinball

He stands like a statue
          Becomes part of the machine
          Feeling all the bumpers
          Always playing clean
          He plays by intuition
          The digit counters fall

He's a pinball wizard
          There's got to be a twist
          A pinball wizard
          He's got such a supple wrist

How do you think he does it?
          (I don't know)
          What makes him so good?

He ain't got no distractions
          Can't hear those buzzers and bells
          Don't see lights a flashin'
          Plays by sense of smell
          Always gets a replay
          Never tilts at all

I thought I was
          The Bally table king
          But I just handed
          My pinball crown to him

Even on my usual table
          He can beat my best
          His disciples lead him in
          And he just does the rest
          He's got crazy flipper fingers
          Never seen him fall

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

for his spirit

"I freak people out by playing facing backwards."
            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Tommy was deaf dumb and blind. This kid is only blind. I'm not impressed...

Comment

Sounds cool, but perhaps a little too cool...

The idea of someone mastering a FP shooter, even just one, through audio and rote memorization alone is fantastic. The article implies that it is even more than the two mentioned.

I found it too difficult to believe and started googling. Endless repetitions of the exact same article from the Associated Press. No tournament listing him as a winner? No friends lauding him on their website as I would?

This has the overpowering smell of sickly sweet glurge.
                Long live the Dead Threads!!

Comment

Shush, the jealous one

Well perhaps you're right but I'm going just to ignore the posting and amuse myself with thought of a blind guy freaking out some cocky guy by playing seated backward and wailing on his arse in the game
                  Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Yeah, sorry to spoil the fun.

Some arrogant snot, with a vocabulary full of "noobs", "1337", and "pwned", getting whipped by an opponent figuratively blindfolded is something that I would PAY to see.
                    Long live the Dead Threads!!

Comment

tell me about it - I just finished a session of guild wars and those people, ugh!
                      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Working...
                      X