"We are now satisfied that he was not connected with the incidents" part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Az

Good job pushing for a rift between the US and the English and their minions. Divide and conquer
    In yur, and OBL's, dreams.

We squabble like kin, but when you **** with one of us, you **** with all of us. And then all of us **** with you.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
      Why? You didn't exist. By your logic you were simply several different British colonies until one day you sprung forth fully formed as a nation in your own right.
      We were barely a country even after the Revolution. It wasn't until the Civil War that Americans began to think of themselves as Americans and not, Virginians and New Yorkers, etc. It took us 80 years after we became a country to become a nation.

It's only in retrospect that we look at our history as the history of a nation. It's general flaw that people see what is around them today, and imagine that it has always been so. We were thirteen seperate colonies.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• And Canadians considered themselves British long after Confederation.

One King, One Flag, One Fleet, One Empire!
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by binTravkin Under current circumstances words "globalisation" and "americanisation" are almost sinonymes.
          then why do i have like 3 friggin manga videos sitting atop my TV all of a sudden
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• then why do i have like 3 friggin manga videos sitting atop my TV all of a sudden
            You must have missed the "almost" part of my post.

Yes, I admit, there are some things which are not american which come in.
            But by the way, haven't you noticed that america was one of the first to start introducing them and then they spread out.
            -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

• Originally posted by binTravkin

You must have missed the "almost" part of my post.

Yes, I admit, there are some things which are not american which come in.
              But by the way, haven't you noticed that america was one of the first to start introducing them and then they spread out.

I think you need to rephrase that last sentence.

I think globalization is the spread of cultures round about. Here in the US we notice non-US influences. Outside the US you may notice US influences more, cause theyre so large. Its also true that some non-US influences are repackaged by the US (if a Taco Bell opens in London, is that American or Mexican influence?) OTOH plenty of it happens sans US influence - Sony is quite capable of distributing Japanese culture without the help of US firms. But I think the equation of globalization with Americanization is both facile and misleading.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor

Nope. While Britain has produced some culture during the 19th century (and much less so than Germany or France), the thing that made English into the international language, and English-speaking culture the "default" one in the world, is the domination of the US on the west and its huge pop-culture machine.

If it wasn't for the US, the only hints of English-speaking culture we foreigners would get are Shakespeare, Edgar Poe, the Beatles and Harry Potter. And nobody but scholars would read the books in English anyway
                If there had been no British empire to spread English so far in africa, South Asia, and to a lesser extent in the mideast and east asia, it would have been that much harder for the US to be as monolingual abroad post1945 as it was. If english was far from dominant in the period of UK political dominance, nonetheless post-45 English dominance was built on the firm foundation that the UK had left. We couldnt have done it alone

oh, and French painting RULZ the 19th century, but Brit lit rulz. I mean ive read Zola, for ex (Germinal - in translation) and unless hes much better in the original, he doesnt hold a candle to, say, Charlotte Bronte. And thats just Brit lit. If you take ALL 19th c English lit, including Yank lit, you get an even bigger power house.

You also place too much emphasis on popcult in post-45 US dominance. You leave out for example, US dominance of science in the post war era. Also even social thought. Forget angloamerican liberalism - we had the best Marxists, Freudians, etc thanks to all the German Jewish refugees in New York.
                Last edited by lord of the mark; August 24, 2005, 13:24.

Comment

Working...
                X