US a Theocratic Dictatorship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frankychan
    What? He's a Christian Fundy whose trying to not seem so fundy. I'm not advocating the military oust his ass. I'd rather see him impeached cause GWB is screwing over our country and is making more flipflops on the Iraq war than EVER. It reminds me on his campaign for 2004 presidency where he was accusing KERRY of flipflopping. Sounds like Bush2 is being verrrry hypocritical if you ask me.

He's changing the rhetoric of even the 'insurgents' to 'fundementalist extremist' cause the opinion of the war in Iraq is changing. He's trying to get us to support the war now when it was a sham in the friggin first place! Any sane individual would acknowledge that he's changed his priorities and his mission statement about Iraq at LEAST 3 times.

Worse yet, he's screwing over our military by stretching them too thin. Hey, I support our troops. But I sure as heck don't support the war.
    A crappily executed war that we never should have gotten into and a hypocritical, poor-excuse for a President is NOT the same as someone looking to wash away our 200+ year democracy and replace it with a dictatorship.

Whatever happened to the nuance that liberals were so proud of? Everyone attacks Bush for being some simple-minded fool who equates all Muslims with terrorists and thus evil. But yet liberals the world over simple-mindedly equate a person whose policies you dislike with a facist bent on enslaving mankind.

Umm...

It is posisble, ya know, to oppose Bush and not think he is going to destroy demcracy and install himself as dictator for life.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Worse yet, he's screwing over our military by stretching them too thin.
      Funny how this blantant fallacy continues to surface despite the fact that the very people supposedly streached to thin don't share the same opinion.

Though I will advance that the civilians should take their fair share of the burden for once. Meatless Mondays
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Patroklos - yes Bush is. As in stretching them too thin. Want all the statements from Shinseki, you know the general who had the guts to publically predict everything that has happened in Iraq post-end of hostilities? You know, Bush's statement about Iraq over a year ago. More Americans have died in combat since that statement.

We cannot secure the borders with Syria, or Iran. We cannot garrison many of the cities we conduct military ops in, letting the militants back in as soon as the combat ops are over. We are pulling troops from deployments all of the world, to serve in Iraq, and recruitment is falling short of expectations, and we are having to refuse military personnel scheduled retirements and leaving after terms of enlistment due to these personnel shortages. Oh, and we are deploying National Guard troops with inadequate training and lead in time.

The Secretary of Defense is driven to state "As you know, you go to war with the Army you have. They’re not the Army you might want or wish to have at a later time." Not stretched thin my a**.

But Patroklos is right. We should have an income tax surcharge for the troops, to pay for the equipment they should have, to give them realistic good salaries in combat zones, and to pay decent and realistic compensation to the widow(er)s and children who have lost parents. That would be real sacrifice for our troops, but then Bush would have to abandon his dream of so crippling the federal governmet via future deficits that he can "...starve the beast" (neocon mantra). You starve the beast, you starve the military. Just look at the Soviet Union/Russia. Fools.
        The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
        And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
        Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
        Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

Though I will advance that the civilians should take their fair share of the burden for once. Meatless Mondays
          Yeah but that only makes hardship for the red blooded meat eating class. The folk that really need some deprivation namely the pantywaste vegan PETA freaks skate along quite nicely in this scenario.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I'll go with meatless Mondays if we can have veggie-less Tuesdays.

Comment

Now why does a greater-than sign cut off your post?

Let's test it

Comment

>

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

SPAM > On topic

Comment

****. It's the "less than" sign.

I probably should've made sure before I made the Community thread about it.

Anyway, check it ou

Comment

Originally posted by shawnmmcc

...to pay decent and realistic compensation to the widow(er)s and children who have lost parents. ...
                      Definitely.

Our forces are so bogged down in Afghanistan (remember that country?) and Iraq that its putting a lot of pressure on our military. They're supposedly having a hard time making recruitment quota's (that's not to say that recruits AREN'T joining).

My main gripe is that Bushie has seriously weakened our fighting force and that IF something should happen somewhere else in the world, we wouldn't be at the fighting potential we could be. We should have finished most of the fighting in Afghanistan first, THEN move to Iraq.
                      Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                      Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                      *****Citizen of the Hive****
                      "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Any one of those 8 want to admit they were wrong now?
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

This poll is missing an option: He doesn't want to turn the US into a theocracy, but will anyways.

Also, JohnT.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You've been holding on to this one for a long time, Ozzy!

(Voted option 3, btw: Isn't going to and doesn't want to)
                            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                              But despite the growth and power of the Christian right, they aren't ready to do away with democracy . . . yet. Hopefully it will never come to that, but I expect the Republic of Gilead to appear in my lifetime, maybe in the next few decades.
                              Yeah, even though the number of believers consistently declines with each passing decade. How do you account for that?
                              Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                                Any one of those 8 want to admit they were wrong now?
                                Hold your horses there partner, they still could repeal the 22nd Amendment. They won't be proven wrong until he's actually dead, and by they probably won't be around this site any more to be shown wrong. It's a risk-free vote.
                                Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                                X