Desktop vs. Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop vs. Laptop

In the next couple months, I'm going to be purchasing a new computer. The only problem is, I can't decide between desktop and laptop.

I am looking to buy a computer that will last me through college; allow me to play a limited number of games (so far the only one that's grabbed my attention is WoW, and probably Civ IV...for non-strategy games I will have the 360).

My primary use of the computer will be word processing, email/Internet, perhaps some light photo-editing (and, if I got my hands on a decent camcorder, video editing for fun, but not much). I like the idea of having a laptop for its mobility - taking it to classes, accessing the internet at the cafes, stores, hotspots wirelessly. However, at the same time I wonder how often I will actually use that feature - probably a fair bit, if they are set up competently.

OTOH, I'm wondering if the laptop size I'd prefer for mobility (12-14'') would be unbearably small when at my apartment; I'm used to 19-20'' displays, which makes me lean towards the 17'' iMac G5.

So anyway, I guess what I'm wanting to hear is any experience other students and laptop users have had, esp. WRT using a laptop for college classes, etc. Also, do you have both a desktop and laptop? Anyone choose to go exclusively laptop, with perhaps an external display for home? I'm not keen on the idea of forking out a couple hundred more dollars for a display - I'd really only want to get a wireless mouse so I don't wear out the touchpad. Perhaps I should go for a laptop, and just fork out the money down the road to buy a nice display?

Anyway, would love to hear what college students especially decided on WRT this decision, what they felt was the best for college use.

I use my desktop when I'm at home, and a weak, old, used laptop when not at home.

As in, I spent most of my money on a powerful desktop system with storage, power, and what not--and with a few upgrades, it's lasted me 4 years now.

About a year or two in, I spent a little money on getting a cheap, used laptop, which can barely play CoH and UT; that's the upper bounds of gaming I have for it, since I generally just use it to browse, photoshop, and write. Since it didn't have to be powerful, I got away with spending about 2k on the desktop machine (+~700 to upgrade it over 4 years) and about 500 on the laptop.
    B♭3

Comment

Get both.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Get a Tablet PC.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Computers
          Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
          Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
          Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            Get both.
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I've got a $200 laptop that I use when I'm on business. You don't need a very good machine for word processing and web browsing (and running all of the old games you get on Ebay that don't run properly on XP).
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Get a desktop, its cheaper and infinately more upgrade-able.

Plus, only losers bring their laptop to class.

Comment

My laptop:

Comment

I'd get the laptop so I could play Smax wherever I went. If the monitor or kewyboard bother you too much, I'm sure you can connect bigger ones at home when you want
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      Get both.
                      Let me give you instructions on how to send money to my PayPal account...

Get a Tablet PC.

It was tempting, but I don't know if it's worth the 1500+ price tag.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                        I'd get the laptop so I could play Smax wherever I went.
                        BARF

SMACX= sux
                        Civ 2 = good

Comment

Few years back when I got a computer for college I decided on the laptop and was glad I did - wireless was great around campus, could work on things anywhere which was particularly useful at the library. If you don't mind spending a bit more for something that isn't bad and don't mind carrying it around (my 15" barely fit in the backpack, but I didn't mind the weight) I would get a laptop.

Comment

Get both. You can happily build a high end PC for sub $500, and a cheap laptop would cost you $200. One for games, one for mobile stuff.

Or... you could spend $1500+ on a high end laptop. Your choice.

Comment

Working...
                            X