Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Servers and Xbox boost Microsoft's revenues -- I thought linux was kicking ass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servers and Xbox boost Microsoft's revenues -- I thought linux was kicking ass?

Computerworld covers a range of technology topics, with a focus on these core areas of IT: generative AI, Windows, mobile, Apple/enterprise, office suites, productivity software, and collaboration software, as well as relevant information about companies such as Microsoft, Apple, and Google.

I keep hearing so much about how Linux is slowly killing Windows, but it never seems to be based in the world we live in. Urban Ranger, what's going on? Why are Windows server sales increasing if Linux is taking over?

Servers and Xbox boost Microsoft's revenues
    And more to come, claims company

By Elizabeth Montalbano, IDG news service

Microsoft posted solid growth for its fourth quarter, highlighted by sales of server software. Revenue for the period ended 30 June was US$10.2 billion, a 9 percent increase over the same period last year, when Microsoft brought in $9.3 billion.

Net income for the period was $3.7 billion, or $0.34 per share. This compares to net income of $2.69 billion, and $0.25 per share for the year-ago quarter, an amount that included a $0.02 tax benefit.

Microsoft attributed its quarterly revenue growth to strength in its server and tools business, as well as rapid customer adoption of its database, SQL Server, which the company said had sales growth of 16 percent compared to the third quarter of this year.

Strong sales of the vendor's Xbox electronic game console also contributed to 22 percent growth for Microsoft's Home and Entertainment division, according to a press statement.

For the year, Microsoft had revenue of $39.8 billion, an 8 percent increase over the $36.8 billion reported last year. Net income for 2005 was $12.3 billion, or earnings per share of $1.12, which included legal charges of $0.13 and tax benefits of $0.09.

Microsoft Chief Financial Officer Chris Liddell said that all global geographic segments experienced double-digit revenue growth except for Japan, which continues to grow more slowly than other parts of the world, with growth rates in the low single digits.

In terms of business segments, Microsoft's mobile products division experienced some of the most significant growth, with sales up 43 percent sequentially for the fourth quarter, Liddell said. For the year, license revenue for smart phones and mobile devices experienced 130 percent growth from 2004, he added.

Liddell said that a strong PC market also contributed significantly to Microsoft's revenue and earnings for the year, with PC client revenue growth of 10 percent and OEM revenue growth of 14 percent over last year.

The year ahead also should show strong revenue growth, Liddell said, noting some factors that will contribute to Microsoft's earnings pattern over the next six months.

Microsoft has some significant product releases scheduled for 2006 and in particular its second fiscal quarter, including the SQL Server 2005, Visual Studio 2005 and Xbox 360 launches, Liddell said. Microsoft expects revenue to jump in that quarter based on the release of these products, which should contribute to long-term growth, he said.

"2006 will be an important year for us," Liddell said. "We believe we're making the right investments for the future."

However, operating expenses will be higher during the first quarter leading up to those launches because of marketing activities in preparation for the rollout of the new products, he said. At the same time, revenue for the server and tools division and the Home and Entertainment Division will fall off slightly as customers wait for new releases, Liddell added
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

0.01/10.

B♭3

Comment

there are linux based gaming consoles?
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

0/10.
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I thought the PS2 used some sort of Linux...
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Krill: It doesn't. You can run linux on it, just like you can run linux on an xbox, but the default OS of the PS2 is _not_ linux, linux-based, or linux-derived.
            B♭3

Comment

It's an honest question. It's been four years since I've first heard UR's "Linux dominos" theory, but every year since then MS' revenue, sales, and profit have all increased...
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                It's an honest question. It's been four years since I've first heard UR's "Linux dominos" theory, but every year since then MS' revenue, sales, and profit have all increased...
                is there any area where linux usage is decreasing? Looks the total market is increasing, so both can grow, whoever is actually gaining share.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                  is there any area where linux usage is decreasing? Looks the total market is increasing, so both can grow, whoever is actually gaining share.
                  The real answer is both Windows and Linux are stealing marketshare for Unixes.

Though UR will have you believe Linux is stealing from Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                    Krill: It doesn't. You can run linux on it, just like you can run linux on an xbox, but the default OS of the PS2 is _not_ linux, linux-based, or linux-derived.

Ah, gatcha. I remember reading that PS2s' used to make a supercomputer were running Linux, so is probably where I jumped to the wrong conclusion...
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      It's an honest question.
                      No it isn't.
                      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Then it seems that , for the first time , the great Asher thought wrong !

But seriously , I have no wish for Linux to kick ass . Kicking users' ass is a job reserved for the Windows 9x line .

Comment

<---likes the NT line
                          <---likes linux
                          <---likes OS X
                          <---is less than impressed with Solaris
                          B♭3

Comment

could this just be Microsoft propaganda?
                            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                            *****Citizen of the Hive****
                            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

@ Frankychan

Comment

Working...
                              X