X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Debate over Women Drivers in Saudi Arabia

Do We Need a Referee?
    Abeer Mishkhas, abeermishkhas@arabnews.com

SCHOLARS, academics, imams — 118 of them — signed a petition opposing women driving, saying that in these times “westernized” voices are asking loudly for women to drive. The petitioners listed several points that to them seemed the main objections against women driving.

This is not the first petition concerning women driving. Last month another petition was presented to the human rights body asking for women to drive, and according to Al-Majallah magazine another petition was submitted to the same body asking for exactly the opposite. The debate is hot; each side is trying to show the advantages and disadvantages to support their arguments.

The interesting thing in the petition against women driving, referred to by Al-Majallah, was that the petitioners quoted a study of “unknown” source saying that in the UK 40 percent of women drivers suffer from psychological problems emanating from stress. It also added that a “big” number of these women die below the age of 40. Talk about concocted studies.

In one of the national dialogues that took place last year, an academic said that women should not be allowed to drive since women during their period become dyslexic and color blind which endangers them on the road!

But to go back to our recent petition, none of those dodgy theories were used, only reasons why they thought it is neither Islamic nor right for Saudi women to drive.

The points included:

1. If women drive, they will be outside their houses much more often.

2. Women will be tempted to dress up.

3. Since women like to show off, they’ll change cars a lot.

4. Women are known to be less decisive than men and they are less capable of dealing with difficult situations.

5. Women drivers will have to be issued driving licenses and IDs with their photos on them.

6. Mixing with strange men will make women lose their shyness.

7. Corruption of morals will become easy.

8. Traffic police will have to have women sections, which places an economic burden on the government.

9. Men will lose their right to supervise women.

The petition also accused Saudis who support women driving of being hypocrites who work as pawns for the enemies of the nation and said that they should repent before God.

It is a long list; on analysis it seems that the main fear of men is that they will lose control over their women folk, a right they have been practicing for very a long time.

To start from the beginning, the petitioners seem to live on another planet or maybe they just have not been looking around them lately. To say that women will be issued with IDs with photos on them is disingenuous, since there is already the national ID card scheme that allows women to have their own IDs and it is actually going to be mandatory soon.

— Women and men mixing? In case these people have not noticed, women do go out, ride with strange men who are their drivers or taxi drivers. How is riding with a stranger not considered mixing but riding by oneself is considered mixing? It makes no sense to me.

— Women are less decisive and cannot face difficult situations is a gratuitously patronizing statement, since lots of women work and have to take decisions in their work. Even housewives are shouldering lots of responsibilities that need decision-making. Does not raising kids need decision-making? I wonder if this is a trivial job compared with driving a car?

— Women will uncover their faces if they drive. First of all not all women cover their faces here. Second of all, experience shows that in other Muslim countries some women drive their cars and keep covering half their faces except for the eyes.

— Women like to show off and will change cars much more often; surely whoever thought of this is not living in Saudi Arabia. If this is true we will not see young men changing their cars every year. Those who have the money and feel like changing their cars to match their outfit are already there on our streets showing off their Ferraris and BMWs.

— Opening women sections for traffic police? I thought we had an employment problem! Should not we welcome new job openings?

This whole argument started by stressing that Islam gave women rights that do not exist in many cultures. To start with that obvious fact does not mean that we are an ideal society.

The fact that we started debating issues in our society is a great sign. We need to know how to differ with each other and stop denying the other parties the right to express their opinions by branding them. Like the petitioners here who branded their opponents as being hypocrites and atheists.

Dialogue is always a good sign but we have to know how to differ graciously, and please, can we respect people’s minds and really list some serious social problems instead of denying the obvious. Or do we need a referee to help us to discuss things in a much more serious and responsible manner?
    This is just amazing...
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

It's just as amazing as most religious-based reasoning, including Christian reasoning.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

That is hardly amazing. The fact that it's even being debated is better than nothing. This is Saudi Arabia, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Nuclear
        That is hardly amazing. The fact that it's even being debated is better than nothing. This is Saudi Arabia, after all.
        I mean some of the points they use to justify women not driving.
        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Don't slam the Saudis. They are our friends. Good people.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

— Women and men mixing? In case these people have not noticed, women do go out, ride with strange men who are their drivers or taxi drivers. How is riding with a stranger not considered mixing but riding by oneself is considered mixing? It makes no sense to me.
            The argument against this was it's often (always?) the husband/father who hires the driver/stranger so they have the control rather than the woman. And the driver can report her to her husband/father if she misbehaves. I didn't say it was a good argument.

I was going to post an article about Saudi women & their drivers a while back, but there aren't enough Muslims in Apolyton to keep the thread alive long. Imran's too westernized.

This would have been great at another forum I used to visit that had 3 Muslims. 1 Iranian (pro-Iraq war), 1 Australian (pro-Osama), 1 British (religiously conservative, but anti-violence). But the forum's search engine was even worse than Apolyton and it got a bit boring after the right/left extremists were banned or left.

Comment

This is just amazing...

I'm not amazed. If you remove the pseudoscience crap from the argument, you have a very cohesive argument, which shows that women would become more independent if they drive (which is true: women driving is an element, among many others, of women's liberation).

And to these people, the normal, not decadent lifestyle is one where the man supervises the woman. They clearly state what their argumentation is about: the logical conclusion of women's driving will be that "Men will lose their right to supervise women". And to these people, it's a bad thing.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Yeah. I can't believe they won't just use the one valid argument, which is that women suck at driving because they're, well, women!

*cue Hellen Keller driving joke*

B♭3

Comment

It's this place that needs some liberating..
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

how can they drive with a veil covering their eyes?

Comment

I don't think that the Saudis have a veil that covers the eyes. The veil varies from country to country (in some, the veil is only a headscarf, while it's the full-hiding-outfit in others). I know that the Afghan have the full outfit, but I think the Saudi one is full-minus-the-eyes. And in other Islamic countries where women drive (according to the article), they keep everything but what hides the eyes.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

sadly, my humour is always lost. . I shouldn't give up my day job.

Comment

Don't worrym it's just that I'm humourless

Comment

Wow, sounds similiar to lists of reasons why youth shouldn't drive...
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Caution Ozzy: the gaping maw of one-trick-pony hell isn't far. If 99% of your posts plug your cause, nobody will listen to you again. Just look at Blackice

Comment

Working...
                              X