New Scientist: Simulated society may generate virtual culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Scientist: Simulated society may generate virtual culture

The experiment will see about 1000 agents live together in a simulated world hosted on a network of 50 computers based at the various institutions involved.

Each agent will be capable of various simple tasks, like moving around and building simple structures, but will also have the ability to communicate and cooperate with its cohabitants. Though simple interaction, the researchers hope to watch these characters create their very own society from scratch.

Every character in the simulated world will need to eat to survive, and will be able to learn from their environment through trial and error - learning, for example, how to cultivate edible plants with water and sunlight. In addition, characters will be able to reproduce by mating with members the opposite sex and their offspring will inherited a random collection of their parents "genetic" traits.
    Interesting
    Attached Files
    be free

why do I see this experiment ending with all of them killing each other.

But I doubt they programmed violence into the model making it unrealistic and entirely worthless on a human scale.

Comment

and the landscape looks a little arid. Good luck growing food to survive. they are going to have to eat each other. I doubt they programmed that into the model either.

Comment

There is no spoon.
        Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
        Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Like we didn't know this from the last few thousand years

Blah

Comment

Well think about it, with this we can learn how to reverse evolution in simulation. Then we will know all things that ever existed and when they came and so on and so forth.

edit: I should include a smiley just in case you take me seriously.

Though I like to believe it is possible.
            be free

Comment

Introduce religion and watch the fun begin...
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Or mice...

Comment

You read the article?

It says something about them even developing their own religion (a sort of belief system I think)

I didn't read the article completely.
                  be free

Comment

They are extremely confident in their AI.

I strongly doubt this thing will deliver results that are anything like the scientists expect (well, the language should happen, but I'm not even sure they'll assist to an evolution of language). They'd have to have a knack for computers, psychology, sociology and linguistics to make the project lifelike.

As a critics said, it's much more interesting to study the emergence of actual online cultures. At least, these cultures are there, so there's a real phenomenon to study, instead of attempting to create one.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

They don't mention "religion" specifically in the article. The creatures may develope their own language based on objects in their environment and may even progress towards symbolism. The people working on this project think it's possible that rituals might evolve out of the symbolism.

Comment

Apparently, the apocalypse comes August 31, 2007...

Comment

That's would have to be very impressive AI coding to completely decouple it from human culture and enable a completely new system to emerge.
                          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Simulated society may generate virtual culture....

... it's already happened
                            Attached Files

Comment

Just something I thought of while thinking about how rituals could develop.

Say you have to kill animals for food, and so the hunters have rpg-esque stats that are not visible to them directly. So a custom could develop that, before you go off on a big hunt, you test your stats by killing a smaller animal.

Comment

Working...
                              X