Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barinthus

If you ever find a mice's garbage can as filled as a human's, let me know

Actually mice don't use garbage cans. They simply leave their filth wherever they drop it. Mouse waste has historically caused far more illness than garbage thrown into garbage cans ever has.

Nature makes no effort to make it's garbage safe. it really couldn't care less about our safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

Actually mice don't use garbage cans.
      What?? Yeah right now next you will be telling me that cats don't use toilet to take a crap.

Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Terrific. First they eat baby birds; then they turn out to be a bunch of litterbugs. I think we need a regime change!

Comment

Why the **** is anyone defending the mice? They are a pest introduced by people, endangering the ecosystem. Let them be destroyed.

If you guy's trully don't care, then why the **** care if the mice get culled?

Makes no sense.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Mice is evil! Throw rocks at them!

Or even better, nuke the island and get rid of the vermin!
            Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Exterminate the damn mice. The argument to let the mice stay is stupid, the key thing is that humans have accellerated the rate that new species reach isolated ecosystems frim elsewhere to an absurd degree

Comment

Well I did not have the individual breeding behavior in mind when I said that.

Generally in the first world birthrates are falling but in third world people are breeding like crazy. Just take a look at population increases over last 2000 years.

Also the way we consume the planet's resources is viruslike. There was an article on CNN.com in which they showed sat pictures of couple areas and compared today's to those of 20 years ago. Very appalling.

If you look at mother nature's tendencies regarding animal populations related to their eating habits and so on - as in those that eat plants tend to have higher population than animals that prey upon those vegetarians - human population should be at around 10,000 worldwide yet it is not.

It is my sincere belief that as a species we need to start to exercise self-restraint and start acting in the planet's interests as opposite to our own gluttonus materialistic interests.
                First world countries had their "breed like crazy" period - actually, it has been the normal state for humans probably since they climbed down from the trees. Short lifespans and an enormous childdeath rate prevented overpopulation. Major population growths historically are based upon plenty of nuts and improvements in medicine and sanitation.

What really messed things up was mechanization of farming and discovering of viral and bacteriological diseases. It's a real bugger to give birth to twelve children and they all survive instead of the usual two or three. It's the same process that the third world are going through.

10k of human beings are just plain nonsense. With that population each person, if they all were living in Denmark, would have 4.4 sqkm to feed on. Even if they restrained themselves to hunting, fishing and gathering they would live a life of plentyness without disturbing th environment.

Though, you are right - we would all be better off if the human population was reduced be a couple of billions, but since most people would consider it an atrocity if it was done with those effective means we have, we must await that the process going on in the first world get spread to the rest of the world.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                  Why the **** is anyone defending the mice? They are a pest introduced by people, endangering the ecosystem. Let them be destroyed.
                  I guess they want this 'cultural behavior' of the mice to be investigated. There aren't a great many non human examples of such learned transmitted behavior out there.

If you guy's trully don't care, then why the **** care if the mice get culled?

Makes no sense.
                  I suppose the idea is that something is immediately available to learn by studying the mice whereas the birds appear to lack distinctive quirks.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

First world countries had their "breed like crazy" period - actually, it has been the normal state for humans probably since they climbed down from the trees. Short lifespans and an enormous childdeath rate prevented overpopulation. Major population growths historically are based upon plenty of nuts and improvements in medicine and sanitation.

What really messed things up was mechanization of farming and discovering of viral and bacteriological diseases. It's a real bugger to give birth to twelve children and they all survive instead of the usual two or three. It's the same process that the third world are going through.

10k of human beings are just plain nonsense. With that population each person, if they all were living in Denmark, would have 4.4 sqkm to feed on. Even if they restrained themselves to hunting, fishing and gathering they would live a life of plentyness without disturbing th environment.

Though, you are right - we would all be better off if the human population was reduced be a couple of billions, but since most people would consider it an atrocity if it was done with those effective means we have, we must await that the process going on in the first world get spread to the rest of the world.
                    Yep.

When I first joined this place, I had a thread on this and a lot of people didn't seem to like it ha.

Anyway this is why I support the idea of helping 3rd world countries to improve their infrastructure to help pull them into first world status so birthrates will fall.
                    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Yep.

When I first joined this place, I had a thread on this and a lot of people didn't seem to like it ha.

Anyway this is why I support the idea of helping 3rd world countries to improve their infrastructure to help pull them into first world status so birthrates will fall.
                      Dammit

Thought that I had found an intelligent opponent and then you dare to agree with me

Though, I have a slight variation to the 3rd world support. I don't think we should drop it, but for a while efforts should be concentrated upon the eastern eourope countries - first of all simple means would reduce pollution - secondly, those countries will quickly be able to increase the support to third w C's.
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Well it'd make sense to focus on eastern europe since their neighbors are first world. I'd think it'll be easier to help a country next to a first world country (for instance, Mexico!) than a 3rd country surrounded by others such as Congo
                        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

I guess they want this 'cultural behavior' of the mice to be investigated. There aren't a great many non human examples of such learned transmitted behavior out there.
                          Mice are cheap. Now that we have an idea this is possible, set up a test. Heck, use pigeon chicks ast he targets- not like that species is endangered.

I suppose the idea is that something is immediately available to learn by studying the mice whereas the birds appear to lack distinctive quirks.
                          By being an independent species they are already distinctive enough.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Mice are cheap. Now that we have an idea this is possible, set up a test. Heck, use pigeon chicks ast he targets- not like that species is endangered.

By being an independent species they are already distinctive enough.
                            good idea. just trap some of these mice and set them loose in a controlled setting where we can study the behavior.

Comment

Now that we have an idea this is possible, set up a test. Heck, use pigeon chicks ast he targets- not like that species is endangered.
                              Yes, yes!! Kill the pigeons!! KILL THE #@^%&!*! PIGEONS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X