Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How has your (US) city fared compared to London?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those numbers sure seem strange. Does the Washington area really have a higher per capita income than NYC?

I also would like a description of how the exchange rate was calculated.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
      What happened to Roland anyway?
      He grew up?
      Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
      Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Portland, OR
          Salem, OR

JM
          (Roland went to CG)
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

How about Minneapolis Minnesota?

Comment

Cottbus Brandenburg?

(probably approaching 0%)

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                Those numbers sure seem strange. Does the Washington area really have a higher per capita income than NYC?
                According to the BEA it does.

Originally posted by DanS
                I also would like a description of how the exchange rate was calculated.
                I used 2002 PPPs, and adjusted the growth rate for the UK as a whole to account for the discrepancy in methodology (using the average discrepancy relative to PPP data for the period 1970-2002)

Ft. Lauderdale - Part of the Miami MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area)
                Knoxville: 98% 85%
                Portland: 106% 99%
                Salem: 92% 75%
                Minneapolis: 123% 112%
                Don't have data for Cottbus, but the average for the whole of Brandenburg is 45% in 2000.

Originally posted by Bosh
                Detroit is beating you but you're catching up!
                That's nothing to be proud of
                Considering that the Detroit MSA (which is Detroit-Warren-Flint) is both above the US average and increased it's lead in 1993-03 then I think it is rather a good performance
                19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

saaaaaaan francisco.

can you find Geneva too please?
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Would the MSA of DC include the bordering parts of Virginia and Maryland?

Is there any data for just Fairfax?

Comment

Thanks. Germany is poor compared to the US.

Comment

what about average cost of living? because incomes are tightly linked to that.
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Yeah, if everything in the US cost twice as much as over here then Americans are just about as wealthy as Germans.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                            Thanks. Germany is poor compared to the US.
                            Well, Eastern Germany is with around 50% of the US's average income, equivalent to the poorest city in the US (Brownsville, Texas) but Western Germany is much richer at 80% (equal with South Carolina or Utah) with Bayern and Hessen at 90% (the level of Texas or Iowa)

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                            Would the MSA of DC include the bordering parts of Virginia and Maryland?

Most certainly, the description is 'Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV (MSA)'

I can't find data for just fairfax county, however the average for the District of Columbia was 152% of London in 1993 and 145% in 2003.

I don't gave data for Geneva, but Switzerland as a whole has an average income 83% of London's.

Originally posted by
                            Lawrence of Arabia

what about average cost of living? because incomes are tightly linked to that.
                            That will affect the figures, the method I used to calculate the figures was to take the average UK income vs the average US (UK is at around 81%, up from 64% 20 years ago) and then apply the relative incomes to those figures.
                            So, for example London's average income was 131% of the UK average in 2003 making it 106% of the US average.

However if the data for the regional comparisons is not adjusted for differences in living costs (the prime factor probably being housing costs) this will affect the results exaggerating the divergences.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
                              What happened to Roland anyway?
                              Counterglow happened.
                              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                                el freako,
                                Do you miss Roland?
                                I didn't miss him - why do you think he no longer posts

Comment

Working...
                                X