Parenting License

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well he's not comatose!
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Thank God for that.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by rah
        Since too many people would go extreme if something like this was required, there's no way you could do it.

But having free access to HIGHLY recommended classes at junior colleges would probably help a lot of people and their children. But I doubt it would have any affect on crack mamas and other such low lifes like that drunk woman.
        I had a nine-week class in high school on parenting, and I'd say it does do something to dissuade people from having kids.

Implementation of a licensing plan would need to go with a comprehensive social services agenda.

Perhaps a compromise could also be made of licensing required until a certain age.
        Visit First Cultural Industries
        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Sorry, I voted after reading the "young & stupid" part. What was this about?
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
            I'm not the one with a kid.
            Don't think for a moment we're not grateful.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

For every one in here you guys do know that kids do not come with a book of instructions right??? Parenting is a learnign experinence you never stop truing to figure out what is best for the kids and you. For any one who thinks different well i have to ask how many kids do you have
              When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
              "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
              Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

One.

Comment

For all of you guys that have kids you know that what is to come has not been written yet. especially if the kiddo is a baby. You as a parent learn with the kids.
                  my oldest is 14 and good lord I am still learning.
                  When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                  "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                  Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

I'm curious to know what you imagine the licensing process would be...

I can think of two kinds of licenses: knowledge-dependent ones (like a real estate licese) and knowledge+skills -based ones (like a drivers license). The latter would be impossible; you can't practice parenting the way you practice driving. And as for the former...well, some of the worst parents I know are the ones who think that reading about child rearing actually prepares you for it.
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

It could be structured like the architects' license - 3 years of internship.
                      Visit First Cultural Industries
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I have actually spent some time thinking about it. And the conclusion of my reflection was that the idea was pure crap.

1. The permit-holding parents won't compensate for the demographic loss. It's not like they'll make any more children than they do already.
                        Basically, such a permit boils down to a division of labour where some women get pregnant, while others don't. It's absurd from a demographic point of view, and it's absurd from an economic point of view: indeed, the ones most likely to get the permit are middle and upper classes (the lower classes are the ones who suffer the nost from the problems associated with bad parenting), and these middle-upper classes are precisely the ones whose time is most precious, whose pregangncy have the highest opportunity costs.
                        Trusting these classes to do the reproducive work is completely unsound.

2. Since the pre-industrial and industrial times, there has been a shift, and parenting has gotten much better. While absolute poverty, ignorance, alcoholism, exploited children were common in those times, it is now much rarer. As our societies grow more and more modern, it's likely that the "old" problems of bad parenting will become increasingly rare.
                        The "new" problems of bad parenting (extreme lack of discipline for example) will come from educational methods, and that can be adressed fairly easily with good parenting courses. As we are in a society where most young parents think of the interest of their child first (the picture was immensely different one or two centuries ago), a good pedagogy should have a significant effect.

3. Last but not least. No matter if you think that reproduciton is a priviledge, most people consider it a right. Everybody would go mental after being sterilised because they failed some test designed by an academic.
                        I'm surprised that so many people here aren't outraged at the idea that the government can decide for you on such a dramatic part of your individuality. Yanks are supposed to want the government off their backs...
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                        X