Parenting License

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
    Honestly, this is like saying there should be a license to breathe.
    That's a very good idea!
    The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

There's quite a difference between breathing and parenting, you know. People can (and do) survive without procreation or passing their legacy through genetics - happens all the time. Why do you think the birthrate is relatively low in western countries? Life is quite different than what it was thousands of years ago - we're more than mere tools of evolution anymore. The previous biological meaning of life (procreation in order to have the species survive) doesn't apply as much.

And having a license to breathe wouldn't be a half-bad idea.
      "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
      "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
      Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

So, the government knows better on how to raise our children than we do??

We can balance our checkbooks. Can the government say the same?

Comment

Since too many people would go extreme if something like this was required, there's no way you could do it.

But having free access to HIGHLY recommended classes at junior colleges would probably help a lot of people and their children. But I doubt it would have any affect on crack mamas and other such low lifes like that drunk woman.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Bill3000
            Hey, no need to be hostile. I never said anything akin to faith based institutions, (On the contrary, I believe that religion should be a choice that the child makes, rather than imposed on them through sunday school/etc.) and I don't mean morality akin to a Good Christian American (tm). Still, I can see where you object to this.
            Don't worry, I was more sarcastic than hostile. I already thought that you wouldn't like the idea either. But it's always good to think what the Bush admin. would make of an idea.
            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
              I agree in principle.

In practice, however, you're opening up a big ol' can of worms. Tis but a short step from this to an eugenics program, which won't make many people happy.
              Eugenics

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                Honestly, this is like saying there should be a license to breathe.

Comment

What do you do if a person has a kid without a license? You put the kid in foster homes? Because they aren't overwhelmed at the moment .
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Ouch

So what happens if people don't pass-- do they get a retest. If you fail 3 times are you sterilized?? If I don't get a licence ( and wouldn't qualify) what happens if I impregnate someone with stellar qualities by any measure? Does she have to turf me to keep the child??

I wish that many parents were better than they are but I don't see how you can test for it. I'd also be afraid what that test could look like depending on the area. here I am thinking of what boards or what not could come up with if hijacked by the lefties or the righties. I can see some lefties telling all the execs at Walmart or Exxonmobil that they are unfit while the rigties could set barriers based on marriage or various religious beliefs

Ouch ouch either way
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      What do you do if a person has a kid without a license? You put the kid in foster homes? Because they aren't overwhelmed at the moment .
                      No, just sterilize them

Comment

Restricting the parents isn't the answer, empowering the children is.
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Hey, how did I guess, Ozzy would use this to pimp his cause! He's almost becoming as one-note as MrFun
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Its what I get paid for.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Not on this site .

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                                Hey, how did I guess, Ozzy would use this to pimp his cause! He's almost becoming as one-note as MrFun
                                Funnier though.

Comment

Working...
                                X