Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Computer Science enrollment dropped 60% from 2000 to 2004

Gates worried about decline in US computer scientists
    Microsoft chairman says his company finds more suitable candidates for hire in India and China than here in America

By Elizabeth Montalbano, IDG News Service
    July 18, 2005

Microsoft chairman and chief software architect Bill Gates said Monday that there is a shortage of qualified computer science engineers for hire in the U.S., a problem that is reflective of the decline of interest in this course of study in this country.

Speaking at the Microsoft (Profile, Products, Articles) Research Faculty Summit on Microsoft's campus in Redmond, Washington, Gates said that while his company finds many suitable engineering candidates for employment in India and China, it has a harder time recruiting qualified individuals in the U.S.

"We're very short with what we'd like to get in the States," he said. "The competition for someone with the right background is very [limited]."

Gates made his comments in a question-and-answer discussion with Maria Klawe, dean of engineering and computer science professor at Princeton University, at Microsoft's annual conference for collaboration between commercial technology companies and researchers and educators in computer science. The two discussed the problem of waning interest in the study of computer science in the U.S., and reflected on efforts that might be taken to remedy the situation.

The conference is not the first time Gates has expressed concern about the availability of computer science talent in the U.S. In April, Gates spoke on a technology panel at the Library of Congress, where he urged lawmakers to ease visa restrictions for foreign workers, citing difficulty filling positions at Microsoft due to the lack of interest in computer science among U.S. students.

Indeed, Klawe pointed out Monday that the popularity of computer science as a major for incoming college students has fallen more than 60 percent between 2000 and 2004, according to the Higher Education Research Institute at the University of California, Los Angeles. She said some of the reasons that many students, especially women, are not entering computer science because is not viewed as an especially exciting career as others such as law or medicine, which are the focus of numerous television shows and Hollywood movies that glamorize positions in those fields.

Gates admitted he is "very worried" about the drop in the number of students entering computer science, and said that it is up to commercial technology companies like Microsoft to help cultivate a positive image of the work being done in this field to help lure students into IT.

"The best thing Microsoft can do is share examples of what kinds of jobs these are and how interesting they are," Gates said. He said that to dispel the myth that all computer scientists do is write code in isolation with limited social interaction, Microsoft must preach to the community the benefits of working on different aspects of technology projects, such as coordinating engineering teams and project management.

"The nature of these jobs is not just closing the door and coding," Gates said. "The greatest missing skill is somebody who's good at understanding engineering and bridges that to working with customers and marketing. We still fall short of finding people who want to do that. I'd love to have people come to these jobs wanting to exercise people management, people dynamics as well as basic engineering skills. We can promise those people most of what they're doing won't be coding."

At the conference Monday, Gates also voiced his support for continued government funding for computer science, and highlighted technology's role in solving societal problems such as global health care and education.

In particular, he discussed how Microsoft, with the help of a physician from Spain, is having success in Mozambique vaccinating citizens against malaria with the help of a PC-accessed database that keeps track of patient medical histories.

"We have to figure out how we can make these things simpler, how this technology ... can reach out and be used anywhere in the world," Gates said.
    ba-da-da-da-da I'm lovin' it
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

more jobs for me

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      more bathrooms for me

Comment

So what exactly is this computer science major all about? I thought there was a surplus of some computer-related job, which is part of why so many people are unemployed? Is that a different field?

Comment

The people unemployed are more often than not just techies...community college type jobs, not computer science. There's lots of jobs for compsci, at least around here.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

w00t!

A Computer Science major is about two things:

1) For some reason, companies want programmers who have it. This is kinda silly, but it does weed out some chaff. A university degree means a lot more than a high school diploma.

2) Computer science is about computation, solving of problems, formal proofs, structure of data, abstract algorithms, and that sort of thing. Just as Stats, CS is a specialized branch of Mathematics
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Sounds good to me

More opportunities open..
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

So there's more socially adept people in the US now?
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                  So there's more socially adept people in the US now?
                  No, it's just the geeks spreading more equitably.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Any data on how much it swelled during the golden 1995-2000?
                    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

comp sci is an impacted major all across the US and since some people dont wanna wait two years to get in (and they need 4.0s in everything else) they choose something else to study.
                      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

LoA: What do you mean by impacted? I'm aware of the term but only where it relates impacted major professors getting paid more.

I don't think that most programs around the country put a higher GPA bar on CSCI. It's true though that the courses are harder.
                        Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

impacted means that when you are accepted into a university, you cannot just declare your major as comp sci - they dont allow just anyone to take it (too many people are trying to get in, not enough professors, etc)
                          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Ah thanks. I've heard of that just never connected it to the term thanks.
                            Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

My uni did.

Comment

Working...
                              X