No announcement yet.

The Only American General to Lose a War Dead at 91

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, the warhawks were complaining about impressment in general, not about the Royal Navy searching for sailors in American ports.

Besides, it would have been an easy thing to stop.

The wikipedia entry about searches in American cities is likely false.
    Golfing since 67

Comment

• yes we went to war about impressment in general - that would include impressment in ports if it was happening.

would it have been easy to stop? I think you overestimate the degree of orderliness in an 1810 US port city. You go into a tavern in the seedy part of Manhattan, near 5 points, where the sailors hung out, get a guy dead drunk, and drag him aboard a ship.

As to impressment at sea, they took ANY british citizen. And considered anyone born in Britain to be british.

My wife was born in Hungary. Can the Hungarian govt stop her on the high seas, on a US flag vessel or airplane, for no particular crime, and draft her into the service of Hungary?
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• actually i think impressment was done at sea and in neutral ports. So youre a brit, who goes off to America, becomes a sailor on a US flag merchantman, and youre sitting in a bar in say, Canton, and the Brits come in and grab you.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
          As to impressment at sea, they took ANY british citizen. And considered anyone born in Britain to be british.
          At the time all countries considered citizenship to be based on country of birth, no?
          Golfing since 67

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
            My wife was born in Hungary. Can the Hungarian govt stop her on the high seas, on a US flag vessel or airplane, for no particular crime, and draft her into the service of Hungary?
            What is illegal today may not have been illegal 200 years ago.

As far as I know, the Royal Navy did not board ships unless the ship was in international or British waters.

The British had been searching ships for deserters for decades. The warhawks decided to use it as an excuse when the time was convenient for the US to invade Canada, namely when Britain was tied up in the Napoleanic wars.
            Golfing since 67

Comment

• Wen't both sides just itching for an excuse to tie up the oustanding issues follwoing the earlier revolutionary wars.
              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

• Originally posted by Geronimo

US 'lost' vietnam because we fought a huge war which didn't achieved any of it's objectives. This was probably inevitable since the US failed to actually define any objectives that could be achieved through such a limited war.

No question there was a war and we didn't win it, so trying to argue we didn't lose it is basically pointless regardless of the lopsided endless series of (ultimately irrelevant) total military victories on the battlefield.

If we didn't have any objectives how could we have not achieved those objectives.

Comment

• In any case, I'm man enough to admit we lost the war politically. But there is no way in hell our military lost the war. They won nearly every battle. The war just wasn't winnable.

But we did lose the war overall. Just like we are going to lose the Iraq war. Eventually we will pull out, and things will turn to ****.

Yes this is another endless Iraq/Vietnam comparison. But it's very easy to see. When we start pulling out (I've heard even as soon as next year), the country will not survive in it's present form of goverment.

I feel so bad for supporting the Iraq war. . I want to kill myself. All those lives lost. It's people such as myself which allowed the president to do what he did. If congress had only stood up to the president and didn't allow him to do what he did. And congress would have stood up if people such as myself had put pressure on our representatives to not go to war. . I'll never support another war ever again. I don't even support the war on terrorism anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Actually, the South started an offensive after the U.S. pulled out, despite the fact there was supposed to be a cease fire. They did well enough for a while, but they overstretched themselves (considering the corruption and lack of American air support).

In '75, the South decided to pull back to better defend itself in the face of a minor NVA offesnive, but due to total incompetence on its part, the orderly retreat fell apart into a total collapse on the part of ARVN, and the NVA just moved forward and picked up the pieces.

It wasn't "radicals in the U.S. Congress" who caused the South to fall. They, along with pretty much everyone but the reactionaries, felt that the South was a lost cause, even with all the help that we could have given them. Even the Ford Administration considered it hopeless, though they were willing to send supplies anyway.
                    The cut off of ammunition and fuel by congress in early 1975 (by the class of '74) and the realization that U.S. forces would never again intervene played a huge part in Thieu's appalling decision to abandon the central highlands and refuse to listen to the pleas of his American advisors. We lost all of our leverage there. The South was certainly demoralized by their defeat in their Cambodia offensive, but morale can renew itself rather quickly. The NVA on the other hand had lost a lot more combat power in the preceding years and they knew that they might never recover to their previous levels while the war continued.

Had ARVN held their positions in 1975 they would have been able to hold them in 1976 as well. They were the stronger force in South Vietnam than the NVA, but they got rolled.
                    He's got the Midas touch.
                    But he touched it too much!
                    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tingkai

I supposed you still believe that there were WMD in Iraq, eh.
                      I don't think any serious person doesn't think that there were WMD in Iraq, their presence there and the million or so casualties caused by them are very well documented.
                      He's got the Midas touch.
                      But he touched it too much!
                      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• here we go again with the WMD debate...
                        Bunnies!
                        Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                        God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                        'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Yeah, General Hull and his crew were just going for a hike... before they turned and ran without a fight.
                          The fact that we invaded Canada doesn't mean that it was a primary war aim. Anyway, not to have done so would have been idiotic in the extreme, since anyone with at least half a brain would understand that Britain would be able to invade the U.S. from Canada. Even if Canada wasn't a war aim, we still would have invaded. You don't let the enemy (Great Britain) have an unmolested base from which to attack you.

Yes, we wanted Canada, but guess what, we wanted Canada before that. We didn't invade. We didn't invade until relations with the Brits fell, because they were occupying our territory and seizing our citizens.
                          Last edited by chequita guevara; July 21, 2005, 07:41.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

At the time all countries considered citizenship to be based on country of birth, no?
                            Not us

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                              Right, like American policy towards the Indians was intended to pacify them,

This has what to do with the price of tea in China?

When the Americans became independent, the British no longer had to pay to defend both sides from each other.

See above comment.

If the Indians are allies to the British, then they have every right to sell and trade weapons to help them defend themselves against the Americans.

So if we were allies with the Irish while they were part of the British Empire, it would have been perfectly acceptable for the U.S. to establish forts there and arm the Irish against the British. Don't you think the British Empire might have decalred war on us for doing something which so flagrantly violated their sovreignty?

Which justifies burning forts on the other side of the border how?

Because we were at war.

The idea that the War of 1812 was soley or even mostly just an excuse to grab Canada is a joke.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Not us
                                Hell, in the U.S., you didn't even have to be a citizen to vote until 1853.

Comment

Working...
                                X