What circle of Hades is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theben

That might be because the elderly retire in Arizona more than Ohio.
    I was talking about heat related deaths. And (at least with regards to this recent heat wave) most of them were homeless men (and possibly some women). It really has nothing to do with old people. And the heat related deaths probably don't include illegal immigrant deaths that may not be reported.

The homeless in my city have been smart though and staying in the shade and drinking lots of water (in addition to their booze ).

Comment

Arizona isn't that barren. There's a lot of people living there.
      In very concentrated locations. Phoenix, Tucson, and...that's it. My point is that there are huge vast expanses of uninhabited land, called deserts, and these are the problem, no matter how many people live in Phoenix.

I was talking about heat related deaths.
      Old people are more sensitive to heat than other age groups.
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I live in the desert too. There are towns every 20 miles or so. You rarely go more than 40 miles without some sort of town, rest area, or convenience store.

Comment

Hmm, I've spent time in Arizona and Nevada during September with temperatures in the high 90's - as well as in Washington D.C. during June with temps in the lower 90's.

Let me just say that the humidity and heat combined in Washington is the worst thing I've ever experienced in terms of unbearable weather.

It's bad.

Comment

I agree. High 90's out here is nothing. I'd pray for weather that cool. Of course Washington D.C. is hotter than that.

I'm talkin 117 degrees (47.22 Celcius). That was our temperature yesterday. But get this. This was taken in the coolest part of the valley (the airport). Nearly every neighborhood was over 120 (48.88 celcius) yesterday. And not just yesterday, but for the past week.
            Last edited by Dis; July 20, 2005, 23:11.

Comment

yeah I know, I should move. But the heat doesn't bother me too much. At least not enough to move. Because I hate the cold with a passion. I'll take this over the cold any day. We were having cold days up until April this year. I hated it. Yes cold for me is anything below 50 degrees. 10 degrees celcius

It just bothers me that people don't think it gets hot in the desert. They act like we got it so easy out here. Well we do kind of. We don't have hurricanes or tornados.

Comment

Diss if you don't stop acting like you have supercitizen balls for living in a dumb desert, I will find a way to hush you up.
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

quite the opposite. I get tired of people in Ohio thinking they are so tough because they have to deal with humidity. That was the original purpose to this thread.

I lived in Mississippi!. The humidity wasn't that bad!. I was there only 1 year. So perhaps it was a cool summer. And I worked in an unairconditioned building in the SIMA at the naval station, pascagoula. We only had fans to cool us.

The weather wasn't bad. but the mesquitos were. and nutria rats everywhere.

and what really gets me is people act like we don't sweat out here. If you do any activity that requires physical exertion, your shirt will be soaked. Dry air or no. tourists don't notice this probably because the only time they are outside is when they are in a pool. Tourists don't have to work outside. I used to have to work outside, but I gave that up.
                  Last edited by Dis; July 20, 2005, 23:18.

Comment

There, I don't want to hear anymore *****ing about 91 degree weather.

and I don't want you guys to think I'm complaining about our weather. I think it's cooler than **** we are breaking all these records. I hope we get to 130. Our whole city might shut down! That would be cool. The schools are already having trouble staying open.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal is Nevada's most trusted source for local news, Las Vegas sports, business news, gaming news, entertainment news and more.

we peaked at 5587 megawatts. How is that for cool?

although it pisses me off because we don't have any power problems this year despite using more electricity than we ever have in our history. It means there was no real power crunch a few years ago, and Enron ripped us off for millions of dollars. What really pisses me off is we are paying for it, and Enron faces no punishment for this.

Comment

Dry Heat

Humidity

I am used to dry heat (like deserts), because I come from Christchurch, New Zealand, and in Christchurch you will get what we call a Nor'Wester during the Summer days, which is a unique phenomenon found only in a few areas of the world.

It's generally just a very long, time consuming hot wind that blows from the North West of Christchurch; it will suck the life out of everything, turning Christchurch into a desert for a day or two. Some sheep WILL die and elderly have died during these Nor'Westers too.

For me, I love the hot dry weather; Christchurch: Capital of Skin Cancer, Ozone Free.
                      When my girlfriend (from Singapore) came over, she experienced a 1/10 of a Nor'Wester one day, and she could not bare to stand in the sun, she stood under a shade for about 1 hour until I finally managed to pull her out.

New Zealand; how many other islands have so many different climates?
                      be free

Comment

When you see this cloud on the horizon, you know she's coming.
                        btw, NorWest clouds stretch about 1000km's.
                        Attached Files
                        be free

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                          Let me just say that the humidity and heat combined in Washington is the worst thing I've ever experienced in terms of unbearable weather.

It's bad.
                          That explains why I don't have any problem with any kind of climate after surviving 7 years in DC.

Right now I'm in SoCal and it was 98 degrees in my house - didn't bother me at all.
                          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

forgive me if I don't believe you. I want proof it was actually 98 degrees inside your house.

98 outside isn't bad at all. But when you are inside posting a computer, your legs and any part of your body touching the chair will be sweating like hell. Yes I know this from experience. This is why I use A/C to keep my house from getting to 110 degrees.

Comment

if it happens again today I'll take a picture of the temperature but that'd require your faith that I didn't change the temperature manually.

And oh yes at 98 I do sweat. Just that it doesn't bother me.
                              Who is Barinthus?

Comment

97 degrees F (36 degrees Celsius) today.

It is so hot, I'm sweating even in the air conditioning.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X