No announcement yet.

So how did you get into..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long ago, around 1996, I was visting a friend and he showed me a new game his father found somewhere, Civilization II We could spend hours playing that game, it was amazing.
    Then of course I wanted my own computer to play it too, I didn´t know anything about computers but I didn´t care, I wanted that game.
    My first computer was a P133Mhz IIRC.
    The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

My father worked for a tech company, so I started using computers about the time I was able to read. Started on a 286 with an EGA screen. Don't remember if there were any games on it, but it was fun to use regardless.

Once we got a 386 with Windows and SVGA it was great. This computer could run lots of games, including the original Civ.
      Visit First Cultural Industries
      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

In 1983, My dad bought a Commodore 64 because he didn't want his kids to miss out on the computer age. He has cursed himself ever since for that decision, because we all used the $1,500 computer to play games.

M.U.L.E. was worth it, though. And I did manage to learn BASIC and assembly.

Before that, my uncle had a CPM (Pet clone) computer that had a lot of great games, like the miner game. We also had an Atari 2600 which whetted our appetites.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

ahh Atari 2600.. my friend had one too.. classic stuff

These CS kids know nothing about the real things!!!!! Young punks.. Only acceptable path to.. acceptance is if you started from C64.. that's the most modern accepted.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
            Isn't there approx 6 zeroes too much ?
            Oops. You're right. Personal computers with a meg of memory were not even a dream yet. I meant 2-3 k of memory.

How quickly we forget how rudementary things were back then.

I remember at one point (years later) being very envious of my older brother. My computer was only 4 MHrtz. But he had one of the new computers with break-through technology that had 16 MHrtz. It was sooo fassssssst.

Comment

Yeah, I know the feeling - going from a Z80 to a 8086 was just incredible - it even had a 10 Mb harddisk and up to 1 Mb of ram

Those lazy bummers that call themselves programmers nowadays should be forced to get their programs to run effectively on such machines
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I started out with a TI-99 playing games and copying BASIC programs out of a magazine...I don't remember this real well though, I was young enough that I'm not really sure when it was. The first machine I do remember well was our Tandy 1000, which was cool until my best friend got 384k of RAM (I only had 256) and a hard drive...I got so annoyed swapping 5.25" floppies after that.
                "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

Those lazy bummers that call themselves programmers nowadays should be forced to get their programs to run effectively on such machines
                  How do they say, "Quoted for Truth".

Original CIV had a weird bug on my 386. If I had sounds on (SB-compatible), the game run really slowly... Untill I took out an enemy unit with a catapult or some other "baroom" soundeffected unit.... Then it ran just fine.
                  I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Civ had a huge amount of bugs. Off the top of my head - the SuperTile

Comment

never really got into computers. they are a tool for me, not a hobby or job.
                      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Spectrum 48k>128k> many consoles > 8086> 486 onward

Many thanks Dad!
                        Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                          I used to have a BBC, that is how I started...
                          You had your own television network? Impressive!
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

He had his own show too:

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Cheeky sod
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

ABC80 in school. Then bla. bla. bla. and Pekka is so cooool. And then nothing. Nada. Hey, Pekka, tell us all about it, how you get so cool to become a DI in computer science ? (as you know, I'm a DI in Chemical Engineering). And drunk as hell = impossible to impress,,,
                                So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                                Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
                                X