Physics of sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physics of sound

Me and my friend have a discussion about sound.
    What are the physics behind it and why cant I find something about it on Wikipedia

My friend says (this is him writing):
    he has heard, that sound has the ability to create form out of matter. He has seen a video-clip of soundwaves being sent through some form of material (fluid metal?). The claim of the clip was that the planets might have formed this way. Through the movement of soundwaves, that is energy passing from molecule to molecule. This would of course require that this can happen in space, but there is no sound in space. My friend says that this is just a matter of there not being enough matter around to create a resonance or something like that (he's not very specific) and that gravity might well be an effect of sound (which is the transfer of energy).
    btw in the clip this was related to the world being created by god by the word, and by my friend to religious sects from 500 bc (+/- a couple o thousand years probably) which spoke of god as The Word and even of Platon's philosophy most likely being linked with these beliefs. Though talking of Ideas rather than Words, and even some egyptian thing about soundmagic.

(I'm taking over again I just have the idea that the matter was to thinly dispersed in the start of the solar system to be influenced by sound and so never could be drawn together to planets.

Which is right?
    "The Parthians are dead, the Britons conquered; Romans, play on!"
    Gamingboard, Rome 3. Cent. AD

It is simply compressions and rarefactions propagating through a medium like a wave through water...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

okay thats true but have thin a medium must sound have to propagate

Comment

ok exchange have 5 words in my reply with how. Im drunk so f*ck it

Comment

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you are asking?
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

in my first reply, in the 5th word, exchange have for how

Comment

that makes things more confusing?

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

You haven't seen soundwaves before? I mean, it's effects...not necessarily the soundwave itself. I've seen soundwaves in water before and it's pretty impressive and scary at the same time.

But can sound exist in a vacuum (ala outer space)?

I thought you need some type of medium for sound to travel...
                Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                *****Citizen of the Hive****
                "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

sound needs a medium..

that is what confused people about light for so long.. what is it's medium?

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Okay I bend for the pressure. My 1st response to the 1st response to my original post rewritten:

Okay thats true, but how thin a medium must sound have, to propagate

so you see, the 5th word in my original response-post was "have" which has in this improved and more correct version been replaced by the word "how". I know it's late but take your time and you'll figure it all out....(life, the universe and everything)
                    hail thee alcohol

Comment

"Me and my friend how a discussion about sound."

????????

I am more confused then ever.

Also, sound just needs a medium, it can be extremely thin, or very thick. Now sound in a range that we can hear probably only works in certain mediums..

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

usual word for thick is dense

(and thin is ... I forget.. undense )

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Medium of low density?
                          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

drunken philosophical debates are fun.
                            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                            *****Citizen of the Hive****
                            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

My first post is my first post. My first response is my answer to the first reply. So my first reply/response is my second post. So excuse me if I use Reply/Response interchangeable I'm not native to this language so try and explain this to me in danish. (Dont worry about the tone in my language, Im just drunk and get easily annoyed)

Comment

Working...
                              X