Apolyton: I want your fitness advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton: I want your fitness advice

Trying to lose some weight.... I am a little overweight and trying to lose it.

I don't eat *ANY* junkfood, I eat a low fat, moderate carb diet.... that is really not an issue. I drink a TON of water, mainly because I like water heh.

My strategy has been this: Grab a walkman and listen to talk radio, then go walk through some backroads for about an hour and a half.... or till I get really tired, rest for a minute or two, get up, walk home, which takes about as much time.... roughly 2 to 3 and a half hours of walking outdoors in about 80 degree weather.

I usually end up drinking one or two bottles of water, 1 on the way there and one back, depending on if I pass by a store or an ice cream truck(they sell bottled water!) on the way.

Any advice on anything to do to make my efforts more effective?

Well, I hear the Breatharian diet is pretty bad for you...

But if weight loss is your only goal...
    B♭3

Comment

I lost 50 pounds without excersize.

my secret? eat half of what I was eating before. It's just that simple. I didn't do it all at once though. I started by going to about 3/4 my normal amount. And then finally 1/2.

Even if you eat only healthy food, if you eat too much of it, you will be fat. It's all a matter of calories, not fat grams.

The hard part is maintaining discipline over what you eat.

Comment

Not an issue for me, really, I eat a good diet.

I am not your stereotypically eating too much #### overweight person, my diet is actually very good, I am your stereotypicall sits on his ass too much overweight person.

Comment

Walking is good, but mix it up a bit with weight training three times a week. Mix heavy weight low rep (6-8) days with light weight hig rep (18-20). I generally do one set on the heavy days and multiple sets on the lights.

Also, walking should morph into running at some point. Swimming is also good.
          We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

While walking is decent exercise, you will get better results if you do things that can elevate your heart rate a bit-- A much shorter period of running would burn the same calories as your walk and some weight training could improve your muscle tone

Whenever I am in better shape I amusually eating the same but exercise better
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

My tip: Don't ask for fitness advice from a bunch of nerds who spend all their spare time posting here.

But if you insist, my tip is avoid diet soda. Messes your metabolism up.
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Running will do a better job than walking

Also, if you want to lose weight you will probably have to go a bit hungry (not overboard). You have to take in less calories than you put out, and when you start exercising you will start to want to take in a lot more calories.

Finally, don't give up: 1 lb of fat contains 3500 calories. To lose a pound of fat takes a week or more of consistently ingesting significantly less calories than you're burning. There will be some additional weight loss from the associated tissue holding the fat, but what you're interested in is shedding as much actual fat as possible.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Swimming and bike will help more than walking. You need a fairly long continuous efofrt (about one hour) to start using your reserves. Once you have one hour of effort behind you (a more intensive one than walking), you can say that you have begun the actual exercize.

Even though you say that you have a good diet, make sure that you don't ingest too much food. A balanced diet can still bring in excessive calories. Generally, a young man sitting on his chair all the time will need about 2500 calories a day. Your food may bring such an amount, but an excess might come from any sugary beverage (even healthy ones, like orange juices). Sugary beverages actually add many calories that are often overlooked by dieters.
                  As you'll be hitting your reserves of body-fat, you'll feel a kind of hunger that feels unusual. It's unpleasant, but it's something you have to go through.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

doing just under cardio range is the best for weight loss, as you burn up a lot of calories (if you do it for any good length of time) but it doesn't cause your body to require food as much as cardio

cardio, and weight training, both will increase your metabolism, which will cause you to burn more throughout the day, even when you are sitting on your ass

so you shuold do some of them also

sleeping regularly and eating regularly also both increase your metabolism..

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I have to tell you, I know a guy who knows a guy who posts on another site, he's a fitness guru, in great shape, why he seems to know what hes talking about?
                        Attached Files
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Lefty's going to be so mad you're posting his pic around like that.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I thought the point of the Internet was that people DIDN'T know what you looked like...

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
                              I thought the point of the Internet was that people DIDN'T know what you looked like...
                              I just felt.. relieved to share what my plan has done for me and without A motivational speaker
                              Attached Files
                              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                              X