MS to purposely fuzz media with Longhorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS to purposely fuzz media with Longhorn

Well, I've always prefered using MS OSes, but if they include this, i'll switch....

From slashdot:
    Engadget has an interesting article regarding a new feature in Longhorn entitled PVP-OPM (Protected Video Path - Output Protection Management) which detects the capabilities of the display devices you are using and manages how (and if at all) content is sent to it. In short, this means that if Longhorn detects that your monitor is not "secure" enough, then your premium video content won't play on it until you buy one that is. Who gets to decide? The content providers of course." From the article: "So what will happen when you try to play premium content on your incompatible monitor? If you're "lucky", the content will go through a resolution constrictor. The purpose of this constrictor is to down-sample high-resolution content to below a certain number of pixels. The newly down-sampled content is then blown back up to match the resolution of your monitor. This is much like when you shrink a JPEG and then zoom into it. Much of the clarity is lost. The result is a picture far fuzzier than it need be.
    Full article:
    Yes.
    33.33%
    No.
    66.67%
    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

And the point of doing that is ... ?
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Apple needs more marketshare.
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Strangling the golden goose to spite egg poachers...
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Unless content providers decide your monitor has something to prevent you from playing illegal content, ALL films, etc. will be fuzzed. The point is to make you buy a monitor with some kind of DRM.
          "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Sounds evil.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

The media companies are a bunch of free-loading parasites.
              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

The amount of time it will take someone to hack a workaround is inversely proportional to how retarded a new bright idea by Hollywood and the RIAA is.
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

SEE! I TOLD YOU!
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

I'm sure it'll be possible to add a dongle that fools the OS.

Even so, that's a pain.

Big Media is one of the only types of companies who I know has more hate and disdain for its consumer base than those that produce what it can sell.
                    B♭3

Comment

Working...
                    X