Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mutual fund management costs 7% per annum!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the nice things about investing nowadays is that Graham's "defensive investor" has very good tools at his disposal versus what used to be. Lately, I have used index funds an awful lot when I'm too lazy to do research.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
      It's a road race.
      See?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
        10:1 says that over 50% of today's investors in the stock market have no idea what a 10-K is.
        I'm guessing it contains all the financial details of a company, hence its interest to investment nerdlings and not the average punter.

My question is, how do they differ from financial accounts fo listed companies? More or less detailed? Or is it the same thing essentially?
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Normally more detailed and without the glossy pictures. Essentially, it's the version of the annual report filed with the SEC. Foreign corporations having listings on an American stock exchange file a 20-F, which is basically the same thing.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

With 10-Qs available on line, you can get 4 times more anal
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I have about 15% of my nav in a hedge fund and just read a nice monthly report of ~1,5% monhtly return on some ridiculously low volatility figure.
              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

I don't think mine was a managed fund. I can't remember though.

I did look at the costs, and chose one with a low cost. Mine were purchased through Vanguard.

Comment

Actually you still are only paying .7% difference between the funds. They help you diversify which most folks cannot do with stocks alone.

Sometimes even with good research, I pick some bad stocks. I do not seems to have that problem with mutuals.
                  We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

a percentage that goes over 99% when you remove survivorship bias.
                    Just out of interest is the 'survivorship bias' also removed from the 'market' index that you are comparing against?
                    19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

By definition, market based indices will drop poor performing stocks and pick up better performing stocks. However, this is quite different from the survivorship bias of mutual funds where poorly performing funds that close (due to withdrawals caused by poor performance) are not counted in the average mutual fund returns.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Re: Mutual fund management costs 7% per annum!

Originally posted by DanS
                        Quite interesting!
                        Not really
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Which is why you'll always be poor.

Comment

Yeah, would you lot mind explaining to us uneducated rodents how and why we should invest, and what the hell these investment funds are?
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Well, yeah. That's what I've been saying here for years. Not only that, but over 95% of all managed funds underperform the market over a 15-year period, a percentage that goes over 99% when you remove survivorship bias. I mean, there is a reason why they don't have "life of the fund ROR" or "20+ year ROR" in any fund prospectuses.
                              It's super hard to constantly overperform the market, though you would expect mutual funds, with all the analysts they have, to manage it. They don't.
                              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                                As I understand it, Bernstein recommends against any investing in individual stocks. As I have stated previously, I think taking a small portion of your portfolio and investing in individual stocks (or a startup or whatever) is a good move, if you are willing to spend the time in research or effort in managing a small business. This would be similar to the utility of a hedge fund.
                                People underestimate the usefullness of a good investment advisor.
                                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
                                X