China threatens to nuke hundreds of cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Commy
    While the U.S. dollar may decrease in value, it wouldn't crash...
    Ah, another Poly economist. Let's test your knowledge.

If China announced that it was going to hold its foreign reserves in euros, instead of US dollars, what would forex traders do?

Originally posted by Commy
    A decrease in the value of the dollar is not necessarily a bad thing, as work becomes cheaper in the United States, as well as living expenses and so forth...on the other hand, Europe's living expenses, in comparison to the US, increase (or rather, get higher than those in the US)...
    If the dollar declines in value, the cost of all imports into the U.S. increases. EDITED to correct a very sloppy error: The cost of U.S. imports to Europe decrease. Why do you assume that inflationary effects of a weaker U.S. dollar would be stronger in Europe compared to the U.S.?

If China stops buying US treasury bills, what happens to the price of treasury bills? What happens to U.S. interest rates?

the U.S. is just like every other economy in the third and second world, expanding and growing rapidly
    Really? All other economies are expanding and growing rapidly? How many lesser developed economies have positive GDP growth. How many have negative GDP growth?

Are you really going to claim that the US economy can never be in a recession, or depression? If yes, please explain this miracle.

only difference with the U.S. is that it is not overpopulated
    An odd statement. Start with defining overpopulation relative to economic strength. At what point is a country overpopulated?
    Last edited by Tingkai; July 18, 2005, 10:53.
    Golfing since 67

Comment

• Originally posted by Tingkai
      If the dollar declines in value, the cost of all imports into the U.S. increases. The cost of imports to Europe only increases for U.S. products.
      Poly economists indeed.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Smiley
        Been stuck in the bathroom the last couple weeks? Lots of people are using British flags in the location field or avatar as a sign of solidarity.
        More like I don't often pay attention to others' location fields unless I'm actually attempting to discer their locations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
          Soon those evil Chinese will be invading our countries and starting opium dens in which good white protestant women will become prosituted to their filthy yellow desires.... the Terror of the Tongs!! Help!!!
          God I can't wait! Maybe I can finally score with a white woman, once she's addicted to opium and morally degraded by her Chinese masters.
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

No, it's a realistic appraisal of Chinese military power. The general specifically said that China is weak relative to U.S. military might and that leaves it with limited options.

"War logic" dictates that a weaker power needs to use maximum efforts to defeat a stronger rival, he said, speaking in fluent English. "We have no capability to fight a conventional war against the United States," Zhu said. "We can't win this kind of war."

His comment about all cities east of Xian being destroyed is a reference to U.S. carrier power. Obviously, US nukes could destroy any city, but carrier aircraft would only be able to hit cities on the coast areas.

He also said that he does not expect a war between China and the US.

"He said he mainly meant to emphasize that both the United States and China were prone to "misjudging each other's intentions" and that he did not expect that tensions between the two countries would lead to war."

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/07/15/news/china.php
            Your arguments do not convince, but that rolleyes really smarts!

Obviously he is trying to sow doubt as to whether the Chinese would go nuclear over Taiwan. They won't, because if they do we won't spare anything west of Xian either. If they nuke our carriers we'll nuke the invasion force in its staging area. If they pull off a successful surpise attack we'll blockade them until not only their economy is devestated, but there will be massive starvation of all resources including food.

GePap thinks that the U.S. will do nothing. He is wrong. Bush has made it clear that he'll do something. Clinton sent ships to the straights over missle tests. Don't underestimate our resolve. If China wants to unify with Taiwan then the first step is to develop a democracy.
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• This talk of the effect on the US dollar raises another question: would a decline in the value of the dollar be good or bad thing? While it would suck from a consumer point of view, it would be a big boost for domestic industries.
              Visit First Cultural Industries
              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

• Are you sure you know what you're talking about? 10,000 vs. 400 is not mutual assured destruytion.

I didn't mention mutually assured destruction. My use of the word was not as an acronym, but as an observation of your mental state.

My point was not that America couldn't win a nuclear war with China, it was that nuclear war is an insane response to some Chinese General hypothesizing China's response to a hypothetical situation.... a General who was most likely bluffing (given China's heavy nuclear disparity with the US).

I don't believe that China would seriously consider this option. A nation does not commit suicide unless it has nothing less to lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zkribbler

Although I don't dispute the accuracy of this statistic, I find it strange. I'll bet most Americans don't even make $40,000/year. This just shows the extreme skewing of the economy in favor of the already ultrarich.
                  Keep in mind this is the per capita...so this includes everyone in the U.S., children, babies, seniors, and retirees...and people who just choose not to work...

So in reality, the average (the mean average) is much higher than this...however, this doesn't mean that most Americans earn this much or more, rather, when you average all the pays of minimum wage industrialists and multi-million-aire baseball players, you get this number...

The average, as in the most common number (the mode average) is probably around $30,000...

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither

Poly economists indeed.
                    Mea culpa, but cut me some slack, it was early in the morning my time.

Still, chalk one up to you for recognizing that U.S. imports into Europe would decrease in price, not increase.
                    Golfing since 67

Comment

Keep in mind this is the per capita...so this includes everyone in the U.S., children, babies, seniors, and retirees...and people who just choose not to work...

So in reality, the average (the mean average) is much higher than this...however, this doesn't mean that most Americans earn this much or more, rather, when you average all the pays of minimum wage industrialists and multi-million-aire baseball players, you get this number...

The average, as in the most common number (the mode average) is probably around $30,000...
                      Commy, you do realize that GDP per capita refers to what is produced, not incomed earned, eh.
                      Golfing since 67

Comment

• I want to see all these nukes go off so I can live the post apocolyptic Costner Masterpiece, the Postman.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Commy, you do realize that GDP per capita refers to what is produced, not incomed earned, eh.
                          Per Capita is GDP divided by population, however, you can use the same number to roughly get an idea what an income in the U.S. might be like...of course, it's not accurate, as I stated above, but all the same, it shows the relative amount of wealth in the US, which is higher than the rest of the world...although IIRC, Japan and France used to be higher a few years ago...

Comment

• Feel free to challange any of my statements, but you won't get far.

Originally posted by Sikander

Obviously he is trying to sow doubt as to whether the Chinese would go nuclear over Taiwan. They won't, because if they do we won't spare anything west of Xian either. If they nuke our carriers we'll nuke the invasion force in its staging area.
                            The doubt existed long before the general made his comments.

No one wants to risk a war with a nuclear power because there is always the doubt about whether the other side will launch their missiles. The cost of assuming the other side won't fire first is too high.

Originally posted by Sikander
                            If they pull off a successful surpise attack
                            I know Americans tend to be paranoid about surprise attacks, but there is no way the Chinese could launch a successful surprise invasion. An invasion of Taiwan would require too many resources, namely ships and that would be easily detected by satellites.
                            Golfing since 67

Comment

Per Capita is GDP divided by population, however, you can use the same number to roughly get an idea what an income in the U.S. might be like...of course, it's not accurate, as I stated above, but all the same, it shows the relative amount of wealth in the US, which is higher than the rest of the world...although IIRC, Japan and France used to be higher a few years ago...

No, you're making the mistake that people earn close to what they produce. That is not the case.

Average incomes are typically lower by a statistically substantial amount.

As for France having higher incomes than the US, please tell when?

By the way, have you figured out all the errors in your previous statements?
                              Golfing since 67

Comment

• just wondering, but what would happen with regards to Europe if Nukes were launched over Taiwan?
                                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                                X