How well do you know yourself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How well do you know yourself?

Seriously though -- how well do you know yourself? I sometimes wonder how well I know myself.

With all the facades that some of us put on when we deal with family, friends, acquintances, and strangers for some of us, it becomes so ingrained and so unconsciously habitual, that some of us really do not know ourselves very well.

So how well do you know yourself?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Very well. Spent enough time doing so too, dammit.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

have a cookie

Comment

Intimately.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I know myself too well. Perhaps I'm too self absorbed. I need to concentrate on knowing others. Knowing myself is boring.

Comment

I lie to myself a lot. Then I believe my lies, and then everything starts to get funky. But I mena like bad funky.
            Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
            Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Well... I know lots of things about myself, and I like to think I'm fairly in touch with other people, as well.

However, I do know that often times I squelch personal emotional responses, and function as much like an automata as I can, which leads to a marked and distant separation with my emotive self. The fun thing is, I have an emotive emulation layer which serves to make social contact perfectly normative and reasonable, yet the actual emotive dissociation remains.

'Course, it'd be fun making this stuff up, too.
              B♭3

Comment

The last person I am interested in is me.
                Statistical anomaly.
                The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Knowing me happens to other people.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

If your facade is so ingrained as to be habitual, at what point does it stop being a facade?

Comment

How well are you satisfied by your façade?
                      Statistical anomaly.
                      The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                        If your facade is so ingrained as to be habitual, at what point does it stop being a facade?
                        Now there's a philosopical question.

Comment

If I am using a facade, I know about it and also know how I "truly" want to act, which helps me make other facades...

Comment

Working...
                          X