WorldCom's Ebbers Gets 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WorldCom's Ebbers Gets 25

Nice. lock him up. now get ken lay and the rest of enron in there too. they can share a cell.

Ebbers gets 25 years
    Former WorldCom chief, 63 years-old, could spend the rest of his life in prison.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Ex-WorldCom chief executive Bernard Ebbers was sentenced Wednesday to 25 years in prison for his role in orchestrating the biggest corporate fraud in the nation's history.

Ebbers was convicted in March of orchestrating an $11 billion accounting fraud at WorldCom -- the biggest of a wave of corporate book-cooking. The company filed the largest bankruptcy in U.S. history in 2002.

Ebbers, 63, was convicted in March of nine felonies that carried a maximum prison term of 85 years.

The stiff sentence for Ebbers amounts to the largest ever for an executive accused of committing corporate crime.

U.S. District Court Judge Barbara Jones ordered Ebbers to begin serving his sentence in October.

It's not yet known where he will be incarcerated, but the Bureau of Prisons has a policy of placing inmates within 500 miles of their homes, if possible.

In issuing the sentence, Judge Jones recommended a prison in Yazoo City, Miss.

Ebbers had asked for leniency, arguing that his failing health, community service and personal financial losses from WorldCom's collapse warranted a lighter sentence.

WorldCom is now known as MCI (Research).
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Good stuff. Next is Enron. They are probably building one Hell of a case against Ken Lay as we speak. That should be fun.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

i have no remorse for these guys
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

agreed. White collar crime has been treated too lightly for too long. The impact on a wide range of people (employees, customers, citizens, etc) by unethical executives can be far reaching and devastating.
        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

B♭3

Comment

"I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Comment

Kuci must be upset that jail cells only have one bathroom/toilet .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

1 year for each $440,000,000 lost to his fraud. Seems a little light.

Let's make it 1 year for each $4.4 million lost, or 2,500 years total.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      Kuci must be upset that jail cells only have one bathroom/toilet .
                      Oerdin was supposed to respond to that. It would've made the thread much more amusing.

Comment

He's not around it seems... I filled in for him

Comment

He'll be dead before he reaches the slammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            He's not around it seems... I filled in for him
                            Well, except for the "amusing" part

Comment

Still better than MrFun (though not a lot), wouldn't you say.
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X