No announcement yet.

Computer upgrade; how to swap hard drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any particular reason why you want the 800 XL instead of Nvidia's GeForce 7800?
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Yes, scaling of video overlays is better on the ATIs. Or at least it was a year or two ago. This is not important for the vast majority of people, of course.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

NVidia drivers, though, have separate controls for video overlay options, do ATIs have them? I don't have that much experience with new ATI card drivers.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I use other tools to control the overlay in any event, so it doesn't matter to me. That said, I believe ATI has had those controls for quite a few years, even though the ATI drivers tend to suck.
          Last edited by DanS; July 13, 2005, 17:21.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
            Yes, it really is a whole new computer, but it will be done in steps as an upgrade.

My current computer is a Celeron 500, so as you can see, I used it a rather long time.
            Wow, that's some upgrade!!!

Go for a clean install, I know it's pain - just did one myself - but it is better.

Hate it when it takes weeks to (re)set all the little tweaks you make on a system and that you've forgotten.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I agree with alva, if you are going to spend that amount of money on an upgrade, then you owe it to yourself to do it properly.

Comment

Maxtor's hard drive formatting utility includes drive copying functionality for exactly this purpose. I just used it two weeks ago because my old C: started clicking morbidly.
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I went with Seagate's update utility, which was basic, but still functional. As suggested, I ended up doing a clean install. Thanks for your help.

It's amazing to see video that dropped frames on my old machine top out at 8% of CPU resources.

Comment

My registry took a good deal of time to put together and I would like to keep it intact.
                    That's why you want to get a clean install, you are getting a lot of gunk in there.

I have swapped mobos (and back) before on this registry, so I am comfortable with the process.
                    More reason to do so.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I feel your pain - I swapped the disk from my old machine to me new one ( totally new processor , motherboard , graphics card , etc - everything was new ) , and Windows XP crashed on me ( bluescreened at bootup ) . My installation of Fedora COre 3 , however , detected everything , asked my permission to configure it , and I was done . Had to reinstall XP .

Comment

Working...
                      X