Computer upgrade; how to swap hard drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer upgrade; how to swap hard drives

I'm in the middle of a computer upgrade and want to swap hard drives to a bigger capacity while still keeping WinXP, my current programs and registry, and resized partititions (C for OS, D for data, and E for applications). How is this done? Do I need to use Norton Ghost or Partition Magic, or are there better, cheaper tools? Do these tools work with Linux partitions?
    Last edited by DanS; July 13, 2005, 11:30.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

why not just add-on the second HD?
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I seriously recommend a clean install on a new HD. Especially if you are getting a new MoBo.
      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
        why not just add-on the second HD?
        My partitions are proliferating and were mis-sized to begin with. Out of control. Also, my HD is rather old, so I want to refresh the hardware.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
          I seriously recommend a clean install on a new HD. Especially if you are getting a new MoBo.
          Your recommendation is a good one, which I will decline at this time. My registry took a good deal of time to put together and I would like to keep it intact. I have swapped mobos (and back) before on this registry, so I am comfortable with the process.

On the other hand, I'm going with a dual core CPU, so I will be upgrading the OS soon... Hmmm...

Comment

Damn, that was expensive. Gonna give me an ulcer. All told, this upgrade set me back $1,600.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              Damn, that was expensive. Gonna give me an ulcer. All told, this upgrade set me back $1,600.
              $1600! Is this beast a Crey or something?
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Well, I got a dual-core CPU, 1 GB DDR2 800 memory, a $300 video card, a nice motherboard, a 300 GB hard drive, a nice black aluminum case and power supply, a DVD reader/writer...

Things just added up. I use the computer a lot, so the spending is justified, but damn...
                Last edited by DanS; July 13, 2005, 14:00.

Comment

Intel...
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

It would have been nearly as expensive if I went AMD.

Comment

Your best bet given your parameters is probably ghost. Then combine with Partition magic to resize your partitions after they are copied. Both tools work with linux partitions.
                      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

What video card, DanS?

And I wonder what sort of work do you do with that processing power, or is it just to feel nice?
                        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Garth: Thanks!

Solver: The ATI 800 XL 256 MB. The processing power is to do HDTV decoding and deinterlacing. The dual core is to do that stuff without hiccups while other stuff is running.

Comment

Wow, 1,600$ sounds like a whole new computer (and a good one at that) Here's hoping your new comp will last you a great long time
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Yes, it really is a whole new computer, but it will be done in steps as an upgrade.

My current computer is a Celeron 500, so as you can see, I used it a rather long time.

Comment

Working...
                              X