Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explosions, this time in Spain

From CNN:

MADRID, Spain (AP) -- Four small bombs exploded Tuesday near a power plant in the Basque region after a warning call from the separatist group ETA, the Basque Interior Ministry said.

The explosions occurred in the town of Amorebieta in Vizcaya province, the ministry said, adding that there were no casualties.

ETA called a Basque newspaper and warned that four bombs would go off at the power plant, and workers at the plant were evacuated before the explosion, the ministry said.

ETA has staged nearly a dozen non-lethal attacks since the Spanish government announced in May that it would hold talks with the group if it renounced violence.

The explosions are widely seen as a show of force designed to gain negotiating leverage if talks are held.

ETA is blamed for more than 800 deaths since the late 1960s in a campaign of shootings and bombings aimed at forcing the government to allow creation of an independent Basque homeland.

It has not killed anyone since a car bombing in May 2003.

The government says ETA has been decimated by arrests in recent years and cites this and the lack of any fatal attacks as justification for seeking talks on ending the conflict.

However, Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero insists he will only negotiate terms for ETA's dissolution and the status of more than 500 ETA prisoners in Spanish jails -- not make political concessions toward independence.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

It's a bit misleading.. I mean, sure, explosions are explosions but ETA is always doing them and warning about it etc... not really breaking news
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

However, Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero insists he will only negotiate terms for ETA's dissolution and the status of more than 500 ETA prisoners in Spanish jails -- not make political concessions toward independence.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Which kinda makes you smile sadly, considering the whole railway bombing fiasco.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
          I mean, sure, explosions are explosions but ETA is always doing them and warning about it etc... not really breaking news
          In wake of the London bombings Im sure someone thought now would be a good time to bomb something in order to grab headlines.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Theben, that's true .. I bet you're right. And it's not like I'm saying ETA is cool and stuff.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
            X