In praise of Detroit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jac de Molay
    I look around and see a world-class symphony, orchestra hall, and opera theatre, the largest electronic music festival in the world, a premier summer jazz fest, great live music clubs large and small, ....If that's "lame" culture...
    Detroit is far from the only city with a "world-class" symphony, opera, music festivals, etc.

It is, however, in a league of its own with regards to violence...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I have heard alot of stories from folks who have travelled throught Detroit. Getting sidetracked from construction or just plain getting lost. Then ending up in the nasty areas and driving around crapping their pants trying to get out.

I was involved in of these adventures once. Went to see the US open at Oakland Hills in the mid nineties. I felt tension but I didn't crap my pants. We managed to get out using the directions of some nice people.

Wasn't their a huge riot in the 60's. I remember my parents talking about this. I travelled in the upper northern US alot when I was a kid. It was really cool.

Comment

Most big American cities had huge race riots in the 60s, although Detroit's in 1967 were among the worst. Some American cities are just recovering now. Many haven't recovered to this day.
        Last edited by DanS; July 12, 2005, 14:48.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
          To be fair, the article that Kontiki links is dated 2000. A whole lot of redevelopment can happen in 5 years, as Washington has discovered.

Take a look at the other lists at the same site. There's updated info. Detroit is second worst as of 2004.

Alot can happen in five years, but it didn't seem to in this case.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

It's funny to see a Canadian accusing anywhere else of having a "lame" culture.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
              It's funny to see a Canadian accusing anywhere else of having a "lame" culture.
              More culture than Nebraska, at any rate.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Last time I was in downtown Detroit it seemed to have done an OK job in cleaning it up and making it presentable. And from what I hear this process is ongoing.

Sure, it has lots of hurdles to overcome, but thats no reason not to see whats good about it already, like all the great music thats come out of it (motown, blues, etc...).

But I'll tell you the real reason why I have no problem with Detroit. Lets compare it with Toronto, for example. Toronto has the air of the world's greatest city and very loudly proclaims this at any opportunity it gets... meanwhile we all know its a dump. Detroit, on the other hand, has no such airs. Detroit is what it is, period. Its a modest city with a modest attitude.

Making fun of it is like laughing at someone for having a gimpy leg through no fault of their own. Think about it.

Comment

I think we're about the same, actually. All our lame cultures have ever produced is comedians.

At least Carson stayed in his home country, though...
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

By the way, why are border cities such crapholes?

Windsor/Detroit - Dump
                    Port Huron/Sarnia - Dump
                    Buffalo/St Catherines - Dump
                    Cornwall/Massena - Dump

You'd think border towns would be a great excuse for both countries to show off. Apparantly not.

What gives?

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

I think we're about the same, actually. All our lame cultures have ever produced is comedians.

At least Carson stayed in his home country, though...
                      North American self-loathing/culture bashing

Comment

It's not self-loathing when you live in Canada or Nebraska. Just an objective analysis of the facts.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You guys whether your from Canada or the USA wouldn't know culture if you tripped over it. A little too much time spent on the ole computer I think. The US and Canada have lots of culture if you just open your eyes. Plenty going on in my area in regards to culture. Its just up to me to go out and experience it. Quit sitting on my lazy arse in front of this computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jac de Molay
                            Downtown New York is crime-ridden
                            No it isn't. The "crime-ridden" area of NY are Spanish Harlem, parts of the Bronx and Brooklyn. Downtown is probably the safest part of the city. And NY, overall, is very safe relative to its size.

the streets smell like piss
                            No they don't. The alleyways often do. But the streets smell like car exhaust, and sometimes garbage on pick-up days.

and amputee panhandlers menace you for money.
                            "Menace?" If you mean "ask," sure. But panhandlers, by and large, don't harass people or terrorize them.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Detroit is far from the only city with a "world-class" symphony, opera, music festivals, etc.

It is, however, in a league of its own with regards to violence...
                              Such a healthy place for all the boys and girls,

it's the murder capitol of the world, oh yea!

Ted Nugent

Double Live Gonzo
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

Of course much of the rest of Motown and Madonna.

My mom actually saw Bob Seeger at some house party back in college before he hit it big. She went to Michigan State.
                                So did I. I remember seeing the Romantics play there often (I should add them to the list, I think they are from Detroit originally) for free at the spring festival. There were a lot of good free concerts at MSU.

I remembered that Madonna was from Detroit, but I think her music sucks. Hard. But Motown is another matter obviously. I excluded them because the post I responded to mentioned rock specifically, but Motown music is generally pretty good.
                                He's got the Midas touch.
                                But he touched it too much!
                                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                                X