In praise of Detroit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Max Webster
    Can anybody name the rock groups that came out of Detroit.

I can name some. I think i have these right.

Kiss
    White Stripes
    MC5
    Ted Nugent
    No city should ever feel anything but shame that it's Ted Nugent's hometown.
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Jac de Molay
      I love it when people take two steps out of their hotel and pass a summary judgement on a place...
      What good is all of that when you feel like you can be mugged and/or killed at any random moment?

Detroit may have a lot of stuff, but that's kind of pointless given how polluted and crime-ridden and poverty-strickin it is.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Downtown New York is crime-ridden, the streets smell like piss, and amputee panhandlers menace you for money. Does that mean checking it out is "pointless"? Go ahead and live in your suburban plastic bubble if you're too scared.

Again, you don't KNOW because you've never spent time here, but rely on stereotypical, lame-ass perceptions from other people who don't KNOW because they can't be bothered to check it out for themselves.
        "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Hmmm....

"The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I see Flint listed near the bottom with Detroit.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

And Atlanta is second....ooh too scary to visit atlanta I reckon.
              "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Nah, just many, many, nicer places to go.

Sorry about your luck.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, like Compton, CA

Comment

The fact that Detroit has lured sports' biggest showcase twice, while New York and Chicago have yet to host a Super Bowl, says all you need to know about Motown as a sports town.

Actually this only goes to show what a wussy town Detroit is. There are only two rules and one exception to make you eligiable to host a Superbowl:

1) The city must have a team in the NFL.
                    2) The city must be in a fair weather environment (Tampa, San Deigo, LA, Dallas, etc) during the Superbowl.
                    2a) A city may be exempt of this rule if it is in a dome where playing conditions may be controlled.

So bit it! The only reason why Chicago or NY haven't held a Superbowl isn't because they aren't great sports towns, its because neither of these cold weather cities have wussed out to the level of Detroit and gotten a dome!
                    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Downtown New York is crime-ridden, the streets smell like piss, and amputee panhandlers menace you for money. Does that mean checking it out is "pointless"? Go ahead and live in your suburban plastic bubble if you're too scared.
                      New York has redeeming qualities. Detroit has some qualities, but not redeeming enough to get around the lame culture spewing from the city.

Do a search of "Detroit" on Google Image Search. This is the first result:
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Again, you don't KNOW because you've never spent time here, but rely on stereotypical, lame-ass perceptions from other people who don't KNOW because they can't be bothered to check it out for themselves.
                        I lived in windosr a long time ago, while my mom worked in Detroit. There are some good points, but the bad points far outway them.

The things I remember most strongly about detroit are: Seeing search helicopters circle the city every other night. Driving down streets and seeing nothing but barred windows and burnt-out and smashed cars rusting away in empty lots (and that was inner-city). My grandparents got lost, once, while driving me somewhere and we got a nice tour of all the boarded up crack houses, too.
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

To be fair, the article that Kontiki links is dated 2000. A whole lot of redevelopment can happen in 5 years, as Washington has discovered.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

New York has redeeming qualities. Detroit has some qualities, but not redeeming enough to get around the lame culture spewing from the city.
                            My point remains this: EVERY big city features the best and worst of humanity. And people wrote off places like Cleveland and Pittsburgh which came back. For Detroit, it's not a matter of if but when.

As for the "lame" culture, I suppose that's in the eye of beholder; I won't argue with someone that chooses to remain willfully ignorant about the true history and cultural offerings of this town, and relies instead on spoon-fed misconceptions.

I look around and see a world-class symphony, orchestra hall, and opera theatre, the largest electronic music festival in the world, a premier summer jazz fest, great live music clubs large and small, ....If that's "lame" culture...

Comment

I agree that culture is one of the good points of detroit (even if it's not easy to see through all the boarded up windows).
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

What a crappy article. I would appreciate those 7 minutes back.
                                "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                                ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                                "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Working...
                                X