No announcement yet.

Let the good times roll -- 146,000 new jobs added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While the population may grow by 240,000, the workforce doesn't grow by 240,000. The rule of thumb is that the US needs about 150,000 new jobs each month to absorb growth in the workforce. However, the US is somewhat unique in that the growth in the workforce is tied to immigration, which may increase or decrease, as conditions in the labor markets fluctuate. For instance, fewer immigrants might come, if companies aren't creating enough jobs for them.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Babies don't work Spiff.

Comment

shhhhhhhhhh
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
          yeah net was the word I was looking for .. damn my english gets worse by the day!

In THAT case, awesome figure
          Not particularly. 150 000 a month are needed just to keep pace with population growth.

Employment as a percentage of the available labour force is still well down in the US.

180 000 a month is just above treading water, and is not particularly large.

There have been months in the last 2 years when the Canadian economy added 130 000+ jobs, despite being 1/9 the size
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Oh, and we didn't go through a recession first either...
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Canada has higher unemployment than the US, on the other hand...
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                Not particularly. 150 000 a month are needed just to keep pace with population growth.

Employment as a percentage of the available labour force is still well down in the US.

180 000 a month is just above treading water, and is not particularly large.

There have been months in the last 2 years when the Canadian economy added 130 000+ jobs, despite being 1/9 the size
                True dat, yo.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

so you've pretty much cried wolf again dan. yet again, bush hasnt done jack **** to help the economy.
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      We also have a much higher participation rate.

Our employment rate is higher than yours.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Both Canada and the US measure employment, unemployment and labour force
                        participation using concepts and surveys (the monthly Labour Force Survey (LFS) and
                        Current Population Survey (CPS) respectively) that are very similar. Indeed, for many
                        years analysts and statistical agencies in both countries treated any differences in
                        recorded unemployment as reflecting behavioural differences rather than differences in
                        the definitions of labour force status.2 However, detailed comparisons of the LFS and
                        CPS questionnaires and associated definitions revealed a number of differences in the way similar concepts are implemented in the two countries (Zagorsky, 1996; Statistics
                        Canada, 1998). Perhaps surprisingly, these apparently small differences are quantitatively
                        important. As a consequence, Statistics Canada now reports on a regular basis the
                        Canadian unemployment rate measured using US concepts.
                        The bottom line in Figure 1 shows the contribution of measurement differences to
                        the unemployment rate gap over the 1976 - 2002 period. This "differences in concepts"
                        component shows the effect of adjusting Canada's official unemployment rate so that it is
                        measured in a comparable manner to the official US rate. The importance of this
                        adjustment has evidently grown over time. In the late 1970s, the use of US concepts
                        lowered Canada's unemployment rate by approximately 0.2 percentage points. In
                        contrast, this adjustment lowered the Canadian rate by 0.4 to 0.5 points in the 1980s and
                        0.6 to 0.8 percentage points during the 1990s. At present one needs to reduce the official
                        Canadian rate by 0.7 to 0.9 percentage points to make it comparable to the US measure.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Much higher? As I recall the numbers, that's an exaggeration.

Comment

uh oh

the five economic no ons of bush

1 - Deficit spending; reduces the Feds policy and reduces its effects
                            2- Deficit spending; increases our trade deficit, further mortgaging our future
                            3 - Tax cuts for the rich; leads to deficit spending
                            4 - Deficit spending - crowds the **** outta investment and the private sector
                            5 - Deficit spending - reduces national and public savings

Comment

Much higher? As I recall the numbers, that's an exaggeration.
                              ~2% IIRC

we have one of the highest participation rates in the world
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Canada is 67.2% participation in June 2005...US is 66% in June 2005.

Comment

Working...
                                X