Lusteron and Hearthena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lusteron and Hearthena

I'm working on background for a fantasy novel I may write. Right now, I'm creating the star of the story's solar system called Lusteron, and the planet on which my characters will exist, which is called Hearthena.

Here are most of the specifications for Lusteron:

Lusteron (1) = Sol

Star Type: F6
    Descriptive Type: yellow dwarf
    Mass (1): 1.25
    Luminosity (1): 2.15
    Characteristics: higher level of flare activity, more ejections of charged particles, and many more spots

Here are most of the specifications for Hearthena:

Hearthena (1) = Earth

Planet Type: terrestrial
    Distance from Lusteron (1): 1.55 AU (average distance in elliptical orbit)
    Axis Tilt:
    Diameter (1): 1.25 or 15,945.375 kilometers
    Density: (5.52): 6.7
    Mass (1): 1.15
    Surface Gravity (1): 1.18 (150 pounds on Earth = 170 pounds on Hearthena)
    Length of one completed orbit (1): 1.43 years or 16 months
    Length of one rotation (1): 27 hours

My specifications are based on very rough estimates. As you can see, I have not yet decided on what degree of an axis tilt Hearthena will have. And from the specs above, you can see that Lusteron is a yellow star similar to our Sol, but it's somewhat larger and a little bit more than double the illumination. Hearthena is farther out from Lusteron than Earth is to Sol and this planet has a greater diameter than Earth.

For those who are knowledegable in physics and/or astrophysics, and if you're interested in helping out, I would greatly appreciate any insight you can provide after looking over the specifications.

I have a question. How many days will Hearthena have, given it takes 27 hours to rotate once, and 16 Earth months to orbit Lusteron once?

I can't think of any other questions that immediately come to mind right now, and right now, I need to leave to go somewhere. So when I come back, I might have one or two more questions.

And if you want to provide any other information on what kind of sun Lusteron would be, and what kind of planet Hearthena would be, please do so. And is there any other crucial aspects of this particular created star and planet system that I should keep in mind and never overlook or forget?

Thanks for anyone who is interested.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

I don't think that "Hearthena" is a good name for an earthly planet.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

16 earth months, ave. at 30.5 days a month = 11721 hours per year

11721/27 = 433.7 days in a year. (roughly)

Comment

Lusteron and Hearthena

Sounds like 2 Acme cleaning products.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

i though it was about the male seytoy robot lusteron and his mistress hearthena on there wild and kinky adverntures thru the universe....
          Bunnies!
          Welcome to the DBTSverse!
          God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
          'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
            16 earth months, ave. at 30.5 days a month = 11721 hours per year

11721/27 = 433.7 days in a year. (roughly)

thank you

So does anyone have any thoughtful comments on what kind of planet Hearthena would be in relation with a star like Lusteron?

I have a clear idea already, as I have a partial map of the area relevant to my story but I would be interested in hearing from someone knowledegable in physics and/or astrophysics. I think that Hearthena would have a variety of ecosystems and climates like Earth, but Hearthena's tropical rainforests woud cover a smaller land surface and its polar caps would be covered more broadly with ice than Earth.

Or am I wrong on both counts, given the specs I came up with? Are the specs I made inconsistent with what I just described Hearthena's regarding rainforests and its polar caps?

Comment

I think you need to focus more on your story and less on the nitty-gritty details of astrophysics. Oh... and Lusteron sounds like some kind of sex lube.
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I dunno, I think it's good thing to have a "solid base" for a story, it doesn't take much effort and is worth it in the end. (IMHO).

MrFun doesn't have to use all the info on the star/planet in the actual story, it just helps if he knows in his mind what type of world he's writing about.
                Last edited by reds4ever; July 11, 2005, 20:32.

Comment

Exactly reds -- for some, I suppose they might think I'm crazy when I say that I enjoy creating the background of the story as well as the characters.

But it is also important -- how can you create a believable, in-depth story that readers can enjoy if the writer himself has not worked out his complete understanding of the world in which the story takes place?

Comment

Hearthena is who's language? (is that what outsiders call it, or the inhabitants"?)
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hearthena would be in the language of the inhabitants and would translate differently from one language to another.

Comment

I have just created the specs for Hearthena's only satellite and here, I provide Luna's specs for the purpose of contrast.

Satellite: Luna
                        Distance from Earth: 384,400 km
                        Diameter: 3,476 km
                        Mass: 7.35e22 kg

Vigon
                        Distance from Hearthena: 362,800 km
                        Diameter: 4,650 km
                        Mass (1 = Luna’s mass): 1.15

The specs for Hearthena are already provided for in the OP. So would Vigon and Hearthena have a stable astrophysical relationship? In other words, with the specs I created, can Vigon safely orbit around Hearthena? And to what kind of oceanic tides would be expected? To what extent does Vigon slow down Hearthena's rotation?

I guess now I should find a way to diagram Vigon's different phases as they would appear for Hearthena's inhabitants. What is the simplest way to go about this without completely disregarding believability?

Comment

Sorry to trip you up so early in, but the numbers you presented don't quite add up.

If radius is 1.25 Earth, then volume is 1.95 Earth.
                          If density is 1.21 Earth, then mass is 1.95 x 1.21 = 2.36

The increased radius reduces gravity to 0.64 (inverse square),

Thus, gravity should by 2.36 x 0.64 = 1.51 Earth.

That is a little more than I would be comfortable with, both living on and writing about.
                          Long live the Dead Threads!!

Comment

Whoops, the orbital period is a bit off as well.

The formula for calculating orbits (assuming a star much bigger than the planet) is:

M x P^2 = D^3

Where M = the mass of the star (in Sol masses),
                            P = the period (in earth years), and
                            D = the distance (in AU).

According to your numbers then, the planet should only be 1.37 AU distant from the star, or have a year equal to 1.73 Earth years.
                            Long live the Dead Threads!!

Comment

Actually, it is much better to "trip" me up early on, as I have not yet begun even writing my story. The earlier someone points out mistakes or inconsistencies in my background construction, the easier it can be for me to correct them.

So if you're correct, I will have to rework the specs.

Comment

Working...
                              X