I got a raise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a raise!

Well.. it was so small I'm embarrased to say it out loud so I'll leave it a mystery. Let's just say it's enough for me to eat for a week in the work cafeteria, or buy a case of beer and few packs of smokes every month as extra. So.. it's still cool. It's more of the thought though.. I was glad to find out, since I'm only summer trainee, and I've been there like 6 weeks and the boss said he likes to give raise to few trainees every summer and I was one of them!!11.. My work has been recognized! It's not much but.. it's something and I'm glad I was notified. Makes me feel important as hell. Yeah.. more important than mustard. But that's better than less important than mustard.

Mustard
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Good Job
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

I got a miniscule raise as well today. Happy Friday all round.

Ninot - Why you boycotting Timmies?
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Wezil, nice

If I got that raise after working a year, I'd be insulted prolly.. but since I haven't even really been there that long, it was nice surprise and I wasn't expecting for it at all, since I'm only summer trainee. And then the boss just asked me to see him and I was like damn what have I screwed up now, I'm getting a warning or something but we just talked and he was in a good mood, asking how I felt things were going and if I had any questions or anything I wanted to talk about, and after we talked he said well one other thing, you just got a raise.

Cool stuff, the psychological side was the important one, to be noticed in such massive place and so soon.. yeah. Good stuff. Also it was nice because he is a boss of many many people and he called me by my first name, so that was cool too. Newbies in there are not usually called by their first name by their bosses.. so it was cool.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Feeling appreciated at work is important. As with you, this was better than the actual financial plus.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

Ninot - Why you boycotting Timmies?
            Some of their franchises in Montreal have a 20 minutes and out policy.

Eat and drink whatever you ordered in 20 minutes, and then they kick you out.

I understand the reasoning (too busy during rush hour to have people sitting around for an hour), but I think its a horrible policy that puts the almighty dollar first and the customer second, and as someone in the restaurant business I'd never agree to it
            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Yes.. the financial bonus wasn't that .. noticable . But it was enough for me to feel appreciated. I wasn't even looking for that much, I was just looking to do my job, get my foot in and hopefully stabilize my position in there in the future and go as far as possible.. like I now totally expect to get there next summer as well, but the question is if I can be at higher level then, have better position. That's my goal. And the next year.. I hope to possibly do my thesis for them, if it's cool, then possibly get permanent position in a good level and actually start getting paid at the level I'd really like. So these are just the first steps and I was glad I was noticed in the thing I now do. It means that at least I don't suck at it and that someone has paid attention and thought about it and now it's done. Yeah.. the feelign of advancing

Oh and this is my first raise in my life too.
              In da butt.

Comment

Agreed, that the recognition is great thing, and most managers seem to forget that. They can never give you enough money, but there are ways to make people feel appreciated that won't destroy a budget.

Congrats
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

And what do you have to accept for this ? A little buttock slapping from time to time from the female staff ?
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Smoking

Comment

Nonsmokers - fanatic ditto
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

You da man Pekka
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                          but there are ways to make people feel appreciated that won't destroy a budget.
                          ... like smack them on the ass?

Comment

You know, I read two articles that made me ponder. One article stating that psychopathy might be genetic, implying that there's a evolutionary advantage to it.

And another article stating that there's a relatively higher incidence of psychopathy amongst managers.
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

The cynical part of me says that managers give their employees little pats on the back - rather than substantial raises - just to keep them happy so they don't notice the crappy hours, insulting pay, and ****ty work environment.

But I'm not entirely cynical. I'd really wish my managers would stop saying, "Oh thank you for staying late Ben we really appreciate it you dont know how much this means youre an extremely valued employee please dont quit" and actually give me a raise, though.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X