Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
    Doc, sounds like the power supply.
    After an evening spent in testing ( ) I think it's the most likely source of the problem.

It's an Antec True Power 430W one though, so it's not underpowered - it must just be faulty.

Can I just confirm - other people have experienced clunking/clicking sounds when their power supply is faulty?

Comment

I've never had a faulty power supply either.

I've avoided most computer problems my whole life. The only hardware problem I've ever had was a bad RAM chip I bought. I admit I couldn't figure the problem. I took my computer back to the shop I bought the RAM chip.

I've had many software problems. But usually the appropiate drivers fix things up.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
        The cold boot problems are that it has trouble reading the drive (whichever drive is used) when switched on and takes 3 or 4 restarts. Then it works fine.
        When you cold boot everything drains maximum power. If you have troubles at that stage it usually means the power supply isn't up to the task.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I am in complete agreement about that. What I am not in complete agreement about it that power supply issues can cause the hard drive noise. I can't find anyone online that claims this, and no one here seems to be able to confirm it.

Any way to test the power supply with software? Motherbaord Manager used to have some stuff IIRC.

Comment

Although I'm talking out my a$$ on this one, if power were interupted or flakey, the hard drive might autopark the drive heads as a precaution when the voltage drops below a certain level using a capacitor charge to complete the operation, so this might explain the clicking that you are hearing.
            We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
              I am in complete agreement about that. What I am not in complete agreement about it that power supply issues can cause the hard drive noise. I can't find anyone online that claims this, and no one here seems to be able to confirm it.

Any way to test the power supply with software? Motherbaord Manager used to have some stuff IIRC.
              I never hurts to have a spare power supply when trouble shooting.
              We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

An easy way to check if it's the power supply could be to switch them between your two computers - well, that if they are compatible

Another thing you could try was to disconnect some HW such as CD/DVD/floppy drives un your clunking computer.
                Last edited by BlackCat; July 9, 2005, 11:24.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

there's been a lot of talk about power supllies recently. I admit, I'm not up on those.

I have no idea how many watts mine is. It came with the computer, so I assume it's sufficient to power the computer it was put in. Though it wasn't really a high performance computer. And I put a high performance video (and sound) card in. But it seems to have no problems (other than the CD tray ejecting on it's own occasionally).

Comment

Diss, try to get some Air Duster and give that CD a blowjob. Your problem is probably dust that interferes with the mechanicals - not a software or electronical problem.
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

A lot of modern graphics cards require an additional power supply other than through the AGP port...ensure this is plugged in otherwise this could well be the cause of the trouble...
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

My graphics card is powered correctly.

I've given up on tests for the moment. There are limits to how conclusive my tests can be as the old machine is well, old, and can't run a lot of games anyway. Also, the board on it is really flaky and I'm non-too willing to risk my (probably working) components in my current machine.

I'm convinced the drive is fine (passed extensive diagnostics and briefly putting it into the old machine), and I don't think it's the graohics card (some problems occur too early on in boot up). It's the power supply or the motherboard I think, but it's hard to test which.

Additionally, I can find no reports of hard drive noise that isn't related to hard drive problems, which makes me concerned I'm missing something.

I think I am going to buy a top of the range power supply (though as I said the one I have is damn good if it's working), put it in, and if that's the problem, fine. If not, I'll have one suitable for my next machine, which isn't that far off now.

But I am still unconvinced.

Comment

Get yourself a piece of rubber tubing, open your case, and hold it up to your hard drive when you start the games. Keep moving it around. It will belp you localize the sound. Clicking can come from certain power supply desgins, but I've never heard of clunking coming from that. Could the clunking be from your CD drive, as it tries to spin up the game? Have you tried other games, sometime cheaply manufactured CD's can be so unbalanced as to cause the CD drive to hang up?
                          The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                          And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                          Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                          Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

It's definitely the hard drive clunking.

Comment

I, too, have a problem. Sometimes, my screen goes completely black, and then returns to normal. ( not due to loss of power). Also, sometimes my Hard Disk and CD drive disappear.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X