Classical music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classical music

I now listen to classical music. I was wondering what all your thoughts were on it.

As of now, I only listen to it when driving when I go to service locations. It helps keep the homicidal urges down I have towards other drivers. I'm finding I'm really liking it. It's complex music, unlike simplistic rock music. All the different instruments coordinated in such a fashion. It's like a feast for the ears. I also listen to jazz music as well. Jazz is pretty cool.

The great thing is they are both on radio stations without commercials and promos and ad. One is on a national public radio station. And the other is on the university station. Great for someone like me who hates commercialization. Actually I just hate talking on the radio. It irritates me. I still have to deal with DJ's, but they aren't loud and annoying like on popular music stations. But I just turn the channel to either the jazz or classical station (whichever one I'm not listening to at the time). The only time I might run into trouble is at the top of the hour when the news comes on the NPR station. I have a cassette tape as backup in case that happens. Last week I had Death Angel- The ultraviolence as my backup. It can be strange listening to thrash/speed metal along with jazz and classical. But I find it works.

I mainly listen to the instrumentals, occasionally they play something with singing, I don't care for the opera singing, or the lounge type singing on jazz tunes. I like the instrumentals.

Has the music made me calmer? probably not. Anti anxiety drugs would probably be better. But classical music has less side effects . And I'm rather enjoying it. And I don't like taking drugs (please don't think I'm some Tom Cruise loving scientologist though).

I've always had a passing interest in classical music. I've always loved the imperial death march from star wars for instance, and the music in Apocalypse now. In fact, I think it's all that type of music I've listened to in role playing games that got me into this type of music.

I'm still not to the point where I will buy this music, but it should be noted I don't buy any music anymore. I've been disappointed by too many albums. Most of the old bands I liked no longer put out good music. Slayer and Anthrax for instance. Or Iron Maiden. And of course there's always other methods of obtaining songs...

But if you have any recommendations, feel free to say them. I'm still new, and I have no idea about any of the terminology. Like when they say something is in B minor, I have no idea what that means.

Liking classical music... This either means I'm getting old, or becoming gay. I'm not sure which.

P.S. Yes I'm back. I said I'd be back when I'm bored. And I'm very bored right now. I should get a real life, but getting a real life is harder than it looks.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on whether music has any type of influence over a person.

I've always wondered if listening to aggressive music had a negative influence on me.

For instance: When James Hetfield of Metallica screams "Kill! Kill! Kill! Kill! Kill!" on the last song of the new album, you have to wonder if that has any effect on me when I'm driving, and some ******* cuts me off. I think listening to classical music will make me less likely to get into a road rage incident (and I have been in one).

Or does aggressive music help relieve pent up stress and agression?

I don't know.

But I kind of like things this way. It gives me more balance. Instead of listening only to aggressive music, I can balance it out with classical and jazz. A little more balance in my life...

Comment

Newer Metallica would make me homicidal too. It sucks.

Jazz

A live band playing jazz would be my favorite music.
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Hi Diss. Welcome back

Classical music is nice. Boris probably can help you more, he's the resident expert.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
          Newer Metallica would make me homicidal too. It sucks.

Jazz

A live band playing jazz would be my favorite music.
          I actually liked the new Metallica album. I felt it was better than load, reload and the black album.

but that would be off topic for this thread

Comment

Re: Classical music

Originally posted by Dissident
            I now listen to classical music. I was wondering what all your thoughts were on it.
            Some might say I have a passing interest in it...

Like when they say something is in B minor, I have no idea what that means.
            That's the key. There are seven distinct musical notes in a scale. Take C major, for instance, as it's the easiest. If you had a piano, you start on a C, and you go up the white keys until you get to the next C. That's a C major scale (C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C'). So the intervals (distance between notes) are wholte note (C to D), whole note (D to E), half note (E to F), whole note (F to G), whole note (G to A), whole note (A to B) and half note (B to C').

Chords within a key are built upon each note in the scale. The most common chords are triads (groups of three). C-E-G is a C Major triad, and is the "home" chord of the key. So a piece written in C Major will utilize tones of the C Major scale in the chords (mostly), and will cadence ("come to rest") on a C major triad (C-E-G).

There are a couple of different minor scales, but the most common is "natural minor." You can get that by starting on the note A and going up all the white keys to the next A (A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A). So the intervals are whole-half-whole-whole-half-whole-whole. In the chords, the 7th note (G in this case) is usually raised a half step to G-sharp (G#). This gives more of a sense of A being the "note of rest" (otherwise known as the "tonic").

There's also "Harmonic minor" and "melodic minor," but that's getting even too detailed for me.

So if you wanted a B minor scale, it would look like this:

B-C#-D-E-F#-G-A-B'

In terms of a practical difference, each key tends to have its own particular "feel." Broadly, major keys usually sound "happy" while minor keys sound "sad." That's a really bad way to put it, but it gives the general idea. D major is considered one of the brightest, happiest-sounding keys, while A minor is considered one of the saddest. B minor is usually thought of as majestic, E minor as nostalgic and "autumnal," C major as triumphant, and so on. Personally, I think these are generalizations that are mostly crap.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I like classical instrumental a lot

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

thanks. It helps a little. I never had any formal music training, though. So it's still a little alien to me.

I remember asking for a keyboard when I was a kid. My parents got me one of the cheap toy-type keyboards. It wasn't long after I realized I have no musical talent.

I love music so much, I just wish I could play it. I've always liked all kinds of different music. But now, more so than before. Because now I don't care what people think if I listen to "uncool" music. Before I would be embarrassed to like classical music. Though I still haven't told my brother I like it.

Comment

Edit: I noticed in my long post, I made an embarrassing gaffe. I assigned the Chichester Psalms to Britten instead of Bernstein. Oh, the shame!

Pace, Lenny, pace!
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Welcome back
                    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                      Welcome back
                      Er...thanks! I was only in the bathroom for a few minutes, though. Talk about clingy!
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I missed you!
                        ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

oh I was wrong about the NPR. I thought it was national public radio, but it was Nevada public radio. They both call themselves NPR. confusing. 89.7 on the FM dial if you are ever in Las Vegas. Unfortunately it doesn't come in on my home stereo at all. . 91.5 the college/jazz station comes in alright on my home stereo, with just a little static. They mostly play jazz, but the other night they were playing pink floyd from the concert in London the other night.

Comment

Working...
                          X