Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off to the Hellmouth (Charleston, SC in August)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off to the Hellmouth (Charleston, SC in August)

The Navy, in it's wisdom, has decded I need some edumacation and trainering to make a me a better sailor, as we're getting a new system installed this summer that's brand new.

So, as the schools in SD were filled up, and I informed my supervisor I'd rather take an anthrax shot to the testicles than go back to Pensacola, I'm going to Charleston to get learned up.

Can anyone tell me about Charleston? Stuff to do? Am I going to have to rent a car?
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

The Hellmouth is in Cleveland, silly.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Are you a nuke guy (i.e. Subs)?

And the Hellmouth is in Sunnydale.
      If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

My Pleasure,

Basically it is three square miles of bars, amazingly beautiful historic architecture, and some of the best food I have seen around the world.

If your into history there is all sorts of civil war sites around the city, as well as plantations and churches.

If your into woman then you have found Mecca. College of Charleston is 70/30 girls to guys, and even with another 2000 of my brother Citadel cadets in the mix you still make out.

What exactly are you into?
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch

The Hellmouth in Sunnydale was destroyed. As was Sunnydale in its entirety, actually.

So that leaves Cleveland (as far as anyone knows).
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
            Are you a nuke guy (i.e. Subs)?
            Goodness no, I'm not quite that insane. I'm going to be visiting the fine folks at SPAWAR-Charleston (alias "The guys who use taxpayers' money to train sea lions to kill bad guys". Also, they build signals warfare equipment).

*A* Hellmouth *was* in Sunnydale. And I think decribing tidewater South Carolina in August as a Hellmouth is fair.
            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Charleston is a nice city, a very pleasant surprise. Consistently voted as America's most-mannered city by etiquette expert Marjabelle Young Stewart, it has an abundance of history, fine dining, and finer drinking. Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                My Pleasure,

Basically it is three square miles of bars, amazingly beautiful historic architecture, and some of the best food I have seen around the world.

If your into history there is all sorts of civil war sites around the city, as well as plantations and churches.

If your into woman then you have found Mecca. College of Charleston is 70/30 girls to guys, and even with another 2000 of my brother Citadel cadets in the mix you still make out.

What exactly are you into?
                History, so yes I was going to be visiting Ft. Sumter.

70/30, huh? Awesome. Few can resist..... Lonestar!!!!

Comment

My college was 70/30 female to male. Don't get your hopes up. The saying was: "The odds are good, but the goods are odd."
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Alright, some first impressions:

(1) SoCal has spoiled me, driving wise. I'm used to driving in an area where there's a streetlight ever 50ft and a dull illumination in the background. When I flew in Sunday night and tried to find the Hotel in the dark, and to me it was bloody dark I got agitated.

(2)I heard thunder the first time in God knows how long today. Made me jump.

(3)There is a large (14ft) alligator at the gate of the Base named Charley. I think he was eyeballing me.

(4)The service sector has managed to elevate San Diego's in relative quality.

(5) My working hours are too bloody long. Seriously, how am I to get out and about after 1700? I'm beat after the first day of this ****.

(6) Gas is lower than it is in San Diego

(7) There are about a million army guys in my hotel, and every single one of them seems to think "The 1st Sergeant" is in my room.

8. For some reaosn I can't get cingular here, a first.

More as time goes on, Maybe the polytubbies who live here can get togather for a beer?

Lonestar OUT!

EDIT: Also, that is one grody Paper MIll we're next too.

Comment

Are you a better sailor yet, sailor?
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                        My college was 70/30 female to male. Don't get your hopes up. The saying was: "The odds are good, but the goods are odd."
                        thats what females say about phsyics

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Re: Off to the Hellmouth (Charleston, SC in August)

Originally posted by Lonestar
                          The Navy, in it's wisdom, has decded I need some edumacation and trainering to make a me a better sailor, as we're getting a new system installed this summer that's brand new.

So, as the schools in SD were filled up, and I informed my supervisor I'd rather take an anthrax shot to the testicles than go back to Pensacola, I'm going to Charleston to get learned up.

Can anyone tell me about Charleston? Stuff to do? Am I going to have to rent a car?
                          are you going to the weapons station or the main base?

I thought they closed the main base down. I know they closed the navy shipyard. I thought the weapons station might be closed too. I'm not sure.

I went to my nuclear prototype in Charleston, SC. Actually it was just north of chareleston in a town called Goose Creek. I don't remember much. I couldn't do much because I wasn't 21 years old. I mostly just watched movies and went to the mall.

The downtown scene isn't bad. My roomate and I went into some club. I only found out laters the nightclub was supposed to be off limits to navy guys. Only because they have a gay night on Thursday (we didn't go on thursday). It was called bird-something.

But you can meet women downtown. It's about the only place to meet women aside from a bar or club (or the mall I suppose).

I kind of miss it sometimes. Even though it was boring, and can't compare to where I live now.

Comment

you won't have clearance to get there, but where I trained is 1 of 2 training submarines moored on the Cooper river. I trained on the 626 (formerly Daniel Webster), the 635 is also there. They used to be old boomers. But the missile sections were cutout.

Comment

Re: Re: Off to the Hellmouth (Charleston, SC in August)

Originally posted by Dis

are you going to the weapons station or the main base?

I thought they closed the main base down. I know they closed the navy shipyard. I thought the weapons station might be closed too. I'm not sure.
                              Weapons station. It's a ghost town, basically you have SPAWAR and the reservists.

Comment

Working...
                              X