Saw I finally saw the Passion of the Christ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    because he had a lot of christian soldiers and crhistianity was growing in a political strong entity

I've heard the opposite, that a lot of soldiers weren't happy because Christianity became as seen of the religion of the elites, because a lot of aristocrats adopted it after the Edict of Milan (while it wasn't established, Constantine seemed to favor it).
    as far as i understand it from the text and essays and studied and read there were a lot of soldiers in his army with the form a certain christian cult in his army.... M(something-something)-sun...

which is where the orgin of the mass on sunday comes from...constantine... (but dont fix me on this i never really studied him)
    Bunnies!
    Welcome to the DBTSverse!
    God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
    'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

• oh but it did start out on topic by me saying that it wasnt an historical movie what so ever (which i will stand by) but then it ended up into something i hardly to never do here...i got pissed because of someones (in my mind) wrong let us say ...opinion...
      Bunnies!
      Welcome to the DBTSverse!
      God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
      'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

• hmm

I just read a book

so was gone..

but the change of observance from Sunday to Saturday was made official in 364 AD

"In 321 CE, while a Pagan sun-worshiper, the Emperor Constantine declared that Sunday was to be a day of rest throughout the Roman Empire:

"On the venerable day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country however persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits because it often happens that another day is not suitable for gain-sowing or vine planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost.""

"The Church Council of Laodicea circa 364 CE ordered that religious observances were to be conducted on Sunday, not Saturday. Sunday became the new Sabbath. They ruled: "Christians shall not Judaize and be idle on Saturday, but shall work on that day." There are many indicators in the historical record that some Christians ignored the Church's ruling. Sabbath observance was noted in Wales as late as 1115 CE. Francis Xavier was concerned about Sabbath worship in Goa, India in 1560 CE; he called for the Inquisition to set up an office there to stamp out what he called "Jewish wickedness". A Catholic Provincial Council suppressed the practice in Norway in 1435 CE."

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
          oh but it did start out on topic by me saying that it wasnt an historical movie what so ever (which i will stand by) but then it ended up into something i hardly to never do here...i got pissed because of someones (in my mind) wrong let us say ...opinion...
          so you still say that we dont' have actual, archeological, gospels from the 2nd century AD?

if you recall, that was your original claim..

and my 'opinion' was that we did (of course, it is not opinion, but fact (or as fact as anything can be) since archeology says so..)

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnT

That tends to happen a lot around this place. We're talking real-world stuff and then somebody pops in and all of a sudden everybody is discussing theory and metaphysics and other assundry bull****.

I'd prefer to talk about the movie.

The religion discussion between JM and BK... do they have to do this in every thread that is slightly religion based?
            people made claims, related to the movie, that showed that they didn't know many things

I just pointed the way to the knowledge, or provided it if it was easy for me to find

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller

people made claims, related to the movie, that showed that they didn't know many things

I just pointed the way to the knowledge, or provided it if it was easy for me to find

Jon Miller
              Well Be that as it may JM Between you and BK I swear I was back in bible study. This thread was about a movie not the bible. And While I appreciae the fact you Know the bible I think there are folks that dont want to study it here. That goes for you to BK. If you want a bible study then you guys need to start a thread on that. The movie is a movie thats it nothing more.
              When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
              "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
              Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

• so you are saying that I can't argue back?

I was responding to claims made about the movie...

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• No I am not saying you cant argue back. Im saying that you and bk went further into the bible then this movie covered. Thats all nothing more nothing less. Im not trying to offend you but rather speak my peace about the fact that this particular thread was about a movie not about when the catholic church was started.
                  When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

• Why do people continue to express bewilderment/anger/dismay/etc. at threadjacks? Come on, they're the rule on Apolyton, not the exception.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• yeah.. I guess there was sort of a threadjack

I wasn't clear on what you didn't appreciate

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• I guess I should say Im not used to the term threasd jack For I have only been here for half of the year. But Needless to say i didnt know this was common practice other then the husband telling me not to do it. Sorry Ill shush and go on now

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                          Why do people continue to express bewilderment/anger/dismay/etc. at threadjacks? Come on, they're the rule on Apolyton, not the exception.
                          I never bothered to explain threadjacking to her, and how it is a common occurence.

That being said, this thread is about the movie not the bible.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                          X