Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trial of Egyptian dissident Presidential candidate postponed till after election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial of Egyptian dissident Presidential candidate postponed till after election

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4656837.stm

Ayman Nour, an opponent of President Hosni Mubarak has been on trial, and it has been feared a conviction would prevent him from running, leaving no real opposition in the Sept Presidential election. The govt, for reasons that are not yet clear, has postponed the trial till after the election, which will enable him to run. His wife, however, says the govt postponed the trial to leave a cloud over him - evidently she expected an aquittal - which may well be true, as the govt case has been collapsing, as witnesses recanted.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

It's a fairly good news. Even though the elections are likely to be largely manipulated by the Mubarakites, the presence of the opponent in the campaign is likely to trigger a public debate, and to contribute to the democratization of Egypt's mindset.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

The Times article:

It would be funny if the government set the election date the day of the beginning of the trial again.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Note, the date of the election has not actually been chosen. Also, the wife is the official spokesperson for the husband.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
          Note, the date of the election has not actually been chosen. Also, the wife is the official spokesperson for the husband.
          yes and latest reports indicates he agrees, he said he wanted the trial over BEFORE the election. Either hes bluffing, or he actually expected an acquittal.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

The government is waiting for the witness who recanted to re-recant.

Comment

Working...
            X