Unearthing Roman Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unearthing Roman Britain

For all those interested in Roman archaeology or Roman history and the Romans in Britain generally, Channel 4 is carrying out the Big Roman Dig, and for those of you who aren't located in the U.K. or nearby, there's also a website with webcam links so you can track the progress of digs around the country and see what artefacts are turned up.

There's also a link asking you to vote for the best Roman archaeological find unearthed in Britain- choose from the Kenchester Dodecahedron, the Cramond lioness slab, the Roman water wheel amongst many others.

Veni vidi and joined in.

Welcome to the online home of the Big Roman Dig. From 26 June to 16 July this year Time Team are hoping you will join them in the most ambitious exploration of Roman Britain ever – not just one fort, villa or even city, but the whole country – Time Team's Big Roman Dig.
    Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Boudicca, I'd hit it.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
      Boudicca, I'd hit it.

But would you hit this ?

Figurine

This small figurine of a jar carrying water nymph was made to give Ted a boner.
      Attached Files

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Boudicca, I'd hit it.
        She'd hit you back.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

But would you hit this ?

Figurine

This small figurine of a jar carrying water nymph was made to give Ted a boner.
          Roman artistry
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Roman artistry
            It's actually made of bone. I altered the text slightly...

Don't forget to vote, Ted.

Would you kiss this ?
            Attached Files

Comment

'...our style of dress came to be esteemed, and the toga became fashionable. Step by step they turned aside to alluring vices, porticoes, baths, elegant banquets. This in their inexperience they called "culture" , whereas it was but an aspect of their enslavement.' Tacitus referring to the Romanisation of the Britons.

So this is what the colonial arrogance was monkeying
              Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Boudicca, I'd hit it.
                People have this 'Zena, Warrior Princess' image of Boudicca, it's more likely she was a big, fat, smelly harridan.

Comment

Working...
                X