Computer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Question

If I have 2 hard drives can I install my operating system Win XP on both without creating conflicts?

Yes - but unless I am wrong it is going to be tricky reference the license. MS may want you to have two copies of XP, remember it has to register itself. I don't know what their policy is.

I once had a hard drive corrupted in Win98 and couldn't get my Norton to run. I didn't want to reformat, and at the time didn't have a network. So I went into the Bios, disabled Drive C, made Drive D the boot dirve, and installed Win98. The I reenabled Drive C (you had to have it disabled or the cable pulled or Win98 installer detected the OS on Drive C and aborted the install). I would assume this would work with WinXP.
    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Yes, something like that.

Install the OS on one of the HDDs. Remove it (unplug the power or the ribbon cable) and attach the other one (plug in the power or ribbon cable). Install the OS on the other HDD. Then attach the other one again.

Make sure the slave/master jumpers are set correctly.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

thx, I have XP on both drives now but one is missing a file needed to start up so I'm using the XP on the other drive. I was wondering if this is a potential source for lousy performance and if I can just reformat the corrupted drive without messing with the XP on the good drive.

Comment

Yes, you can format the corrupted drive no problem.
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Sometimes though you can just disable the other hard drive in the Bios and avoid all that hassle.
            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Only if they are on two separate channels.

Comment

Working...
              X