On This Date In Music History...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On This Date In Music History...

I thought it might be interesting to each day, make a note of music history. Add. Discuss. Whatever.
    For my part, I'll probably do rock and roll, or blues.
    Not interested, then to hell with it.

I started with this one because...I didn't know that he played with these people.

July 3, 1962 = After getting hurt during a jump, Jimi Hendrix gets an honorable discharge from the Army. Over the next three years, he will play numerous gigs and studio sessions with such R&B stars as Little Richard, the Isley Brothers, Ike and Tina Turner and Sam Cooke.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

this day in music alternate history

in 1991, Axl Rose of the grunge metal group Guns ‘n’ Roses is killed when he sparks a riot by leaping into the crowd at a concert in St. Louis and attacking a fan who is videotaping his performance. The death of the notoriously hot-headed Rose closes the chapter on his musical style, as well; softer, gentler music makes a dramatic comeback in the 90’s.

We've moved to http://www.todayinah.co.uk - we are still copying over the archives at this time.

Comment

Real deaths:

2001, US singer, songwriter Johnny Russell died aged 61. Wrote 'Act Naturally' covered by The Beatles and wrote hits for Dolly Parton.

1986, U2 crew member Greg Carroll was killed in a motorcycle accident in Dublin while running an errand for Bono.

1973, Laurens Hammond the inventor of the Hammond organ died aged 73. Many rock artists including Procol Harum, Keith Emerson, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Allman Brothers and The Faces featured the sound of the Hammond.

1972, Blues singer, guitarist Mississippi Fred McDowell died of cancer aged 68. The Rolling Stones covered his 'You Got To Move' on 'Sticky Fingers' album.

1971, Doors singer Jim Morrison was found dead in a bathtub in Paris, the cause of death was given as a heart attack. On the 25th anniversary of his death an estimated 15, 000 fans gathered at Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris to pay their respects.

1969, Rolling Stone, Brian Jones drowned while under the influence of drugs and alcohol after taking a midnight swim in his pool aged 27. His body was found at the bottom of the pool by his Swedish girlfriend Anna Wohlin.
      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
      And notifying the next of kin
      Once again...

Comment

Conductor Mitch Miller Birthday (Big Band Era)

Bill Withers Birthday(Lean on Me, Aint no sunshine,Just the two of us)

Ralph Johnson Birthday (Earth,Wind and Fire)

Kirk Pengilly of INXS

Barry White died 2003 this date
        Attached Files
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

July 4 1960

Duane Eddy and the Rebels hit #4 with "Because They're Young," the title song from the movie of the same name.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Do we really need to rehash every two-bit 50's singer in this thread?

Now this was important:
            1969, Appearing at the two-day Atlanta Pop Festival, Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Winter, Delaney and Bonnie, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Canned Heat, Joe Cocker, Blood Sweat & Tears and Paul Butterfield.

And I'm not even talking about this
            1999, Victoria 'Posh Spice' Adams married footballer David Beckham at Luttrellstown Castle, Ireland. The couple had signed a deal worth £1million for OK magazine to have the exclusive picture rights.

On a sad note :
            2003, Soul singer and producer Barry White died from Kidney failure aged 58. (1974 UK No.1 single 'You're The First The Last My Everything', 1974 US No.1 single 'Can't Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe').
            Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
              Do we really need to rehash every two-bit 50's singer in this thread?
              Who is so called two bit?
              If it werent for them we wouldnt have a lot of the folks today..note I didnt specify talent as I am not sure what we have is all talent

Now this was important:
              1969, Appearing at the two-day Atlanta Pop Festival, Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Winter, Delaney and Bonnie, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Canned Heat, Joe Cocker, Blood Sweat & Tears and Paul Butterfield.
              Indeed

On a sad note :
              2003, Soul singer and producer Barry White died from Kidney failure aged 58. (1974 UK No.1 single 'You're The First The Last My Everything', 1974 US No.1 single 'Can't Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe').
              I covered that yesterday

Gramps

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

Who is so called two bit?
                Duane Eddy was just one of those 50's one-hit wonders. I don't think most of them merit a mentioning in this thread.

I covered that yesterday

You are way ahead of your times Gramps Well, at least a day...

Sidenote: Now I meet you in an OTF thread, it seems like a good moment to ask about the next "Room With A View" installment.
                Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij

Duane Eddy was just one of those 50's one-hit wonders. I don't think most of them merit a mentioning in this thread.

I covered that yesterday

You are way ahead of your times Gramps Well, at least a day...

Sidenote: Now I meet you in an OTF thread, it seems like a good moment to ask about the next "Room With A View" installment.
                  oh

my next installment

I must go an compile, yes I shall look for and come forth with renderings of my large room with a small amount of furniture in it viewing what Apolyton has given my soul

Comment

I must go an compile, yes I shall look for and come forth with renderings of my large room with a small amount of furniture in it viewing what Apolyton has given my soul

looking forward to it.
                    Once again...

Comment

Working...
                    X