Are you as Litigious as the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you as Litigious as the US?

by US I mean the United States of America. I am mainly speaking of continental Europe. It's question I've pondered for a while, but I will keep my opinions to myself. As I don't want to flavor the argument.

So Why does the US attempt to solve most of it's issues thru the courts.
    Accidently left my signature in this post.

I understand every word in the thread title, but still cannot parse it

Comment

Sorry, I'm drunk. It should say Are you as litigious as the US? why not? An 'honest' inquiry into other modern legal systems.

PS. I don't really know if that helps.
      Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Well, if this is any indication, Italy is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Moral Hazard
          Sorry, I'm drunk.
          Ah, I see.

Comment

Only KH can be cool while drinking and typing -- he's the master.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Re: Our you a Litigious as US

Originally posted by Moral Hazard

So Why does the US attempt to solve most of it's issues thru the courts.
              Because people here have a bad habit of proclaiming they have a god-given right to the most stupidest of things. You do something someone doesn't like that is perfectly legal and the other guy whines and b*tches and goes to a lawyer saying you violated his rights.

Comment

Re: Re: Our you a Litigious as US

Originally posted by Odin

Because people here have a bad habit of proclaiming they have a god-given right to the most stupidest of things. You do something someone doesn't like that is perfectly legal and the other guy whines and b*tches and goes to a lawyer saying you violated his rights.
                QFT.

I remember that one incident where that one US military servicewoman was in the Middle East and refused to wear a burkha because she said it 'infringed on her rights".

Lady, if you're in another country, you play by their rules or you go home. The US isn't the world...there ARE other countries out there.

Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                *****Citizen of the Hive****
                "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

No. We tend to actually have workable government and sensible legislation. It removes the need for a lot of lawsuits.

Though the UK is becoming more like America. This is a trend I disapprove of.
                  Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                  -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Lady, if you're in another country, you play by their rules or you go home.

Don't wander off into the wrong neighborhood. They'll force you to play by their rules, and you won't like it.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

In our country many disputes between neighbours result in cases within a court (or at least policemen which are called).
                      Especially people belonging to the lower classes and the lower middleclass like to solve their disputes this way.

But we don´t have million Euro-Lawsuits where people try to sue companies because they are too dumb to use the product manufactured by the company.
                      Well, there was one case of a judge from Berlin who tried to sue the Coca Cola Company and Masterfood (which makes Chocolate Bars like MArs and Snickers) because, during his work he preferred to eat lots of these chocolate bars and drink lots of Coke,
                      with the result that he went obese and got diabetes and even a heart attack.
                      The case was struck down with the argument, that this particular judge should´ve known that this food is no replacement for normal meals and therefore, even if there are no warning labels on the packaging on the bars and coke cans, the companies are not responsible for his unhealthy eating and drinking behavior.
                      Last edited by Proteus_MST; July 3, 2005, 09:51.
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I agree sometimes US lawsuits are over the line. But I would prefer it that way. At least you can really sue people who do abuse your rights or do something bad, and you can even sue companies if there's a good reason. Sure, there are ridicilous suits sometimes. Yet, it's much better than the practice of solving such debates through a streetfight or something along those lines.
                        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
                        X