Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watch out for scientific arguments in social studies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not saying it isn't usually the man's fault, or if it isn't. But the problem isn't the way men think any more than it is the way women think. Men can get along with people just as well as women can if not better.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

ermm it is possible, but it sounds like you don't recognize it as unethical.
      Actually I was thinking about doing something to people to keep the capability to reproduce dormant until turned on at some point in life. Ideally this something would not interfere with the growth and body changes of puberty. This is not possible yet, and I don't know if it ever will be.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
        Men can get along with people just as well as women can if not better.
        In different ways, though.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Science Fiction has dealt with that (limiting the right to reproduce) in many variations, and the technology is actually there. While there are problems, with enough work it is highly likely they could be worked out. For men it would be implanted magnetic actuated (from the outside) valves in the vas deferens, the ducts that transport sperm from your scrotum. There were scarring problems, but with a focused program those could largely be beaten.

For women you could easily have implanted birth control, either Norplant that had technical problems (too many shoddy jobs implanting or removing it) that were not an issue per se with the technology, or this from consumer reports.

That’s not the case with the newest IUD, Mirena. “It’s highly effective, completely reversible, and makes periods lighter and less crampy,” says Mitchell Creinin, M.D., professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Pittsburgh. The reason is that Mirena releases a steady trickle of the hormone progestin, which over time thins the uterine lining so that it can’t support a pregnancy. It lasts for five years, but a woman can have it removed at any time and she doesn’t have to wait before trying to get pregnant.
          The kicker is who decides when to turn it on, what are the criteria, etc. Do you want someone determining, for example, that if you believe in any corporal punishment, for example spanking, you are unfit. Or that if you are a loving same-sex couple you cannot have children - oops, we already do that to a certain degree. Whatever the case, it opens up a really big can of worms.
          The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
          And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
          Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
          Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Working...
          X