Karl Rove: Source of Plame Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
    DanS, read my post. This isn't speculation. Newsweek is going to be running the story next week.

And did you see the show? How do you know it was in the "predictions" section?
    Is this the same Newsweek that did the Koran-Loogate thigmajig?

And in any case, I thought it was Time that was running the article.
    B♭3

Comment

Is this the same Newsweek that did the Koran-Loogate thigmajig?

Which turned out to be surt of true. meaningless but true.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Looking at what Newsweek is going to print, this looks more and more true. He hasn't said anything slanderous or untrue, but he also hasn't said anything that is a substantial revelation. It looks more like he wants to position himself to be the first person to start the "Rove-gate" chant.
        On the McLaughlin Group itself, O'Donnell said that the crime will probably not be outing a covert agent, but perjury.

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Breaking News: Judge orders New York Times reporter Judith Miller jailed for refusing to divulge source who revealed CIA operative. Details soon.

Comment

I dont think it was labeled as breaking news, but also big news:

Cooper's source gave him permission to reveal his identity, so he is testifying.
            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

So I guess know we'll get to see who the source really was. If it's not Rove, I can't wait to see the stunned reaction from the left.
              If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

so if its all proved, why does Judith Miller have to go to jail? (i say this more out of sympathy with Miller than with Rove, BTW)
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
                  So I guess know we'll get to see who the source really was. If it's not Rove, I can't wait to see the stunned reaction from the left.
                  I dont think most of the left will be stunned if its not Rove.

Maybe they'd be stunned if its someone from the left, like an ex-Clinton person.
                  Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                    Intent is generally very easy to prove in most cases...
                    No it's not, which is why so many white collar crimes are not prosecuted. It's much easier to prove X happened than to prove X happened because Mr. Y wanted to do Z.
                    He's got the Midas touch.
                    But he touched it too much!
                    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                      so if its all proved, why does Judith Miller have to go to jail? (i say this more out of sympathy with Miller than with Rove, BTW)
                      It does indeed beg the question. One would be hard pressed to say NYT would do anything to give cover to the Bush admin. OTOH sticking to their guns to not disclose their sources may be an integrity issue greater than their passion to smear Bush.
                      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

passion to smear Bush.
                        Disclosing the source of the leak of Plame's identity is supposed to be a "smear" of Dear Leader?

Incidentally, you do realize that Judith Miller is a right wing reporter, don't you?

There are definitely multiple leaks involved. At least two (since Miller's source(s) hasn't released her from confidentiality, but one of Cooper's, Scooter Libby, Cheney's CoS, has).
                        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                        -Bokonon

Comment

I was reading TPM last night, and there's an interesting theory there - that Miller's source told Miller and Miller told Rove and others. It seems plausible that the prosecutor is looking for who told Miller.

That's an interesting theory to watch.
                          If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Interesting article (I never heard of Joshua Frank or Dissident Voice, so I can't vouch for its reliability):

Occasionally I get e-mails from Washington folks who work on the Hill claiming to possess juicy insider digs on our public servants and their corporate paymasters. I usually delete said e-mails, as I don't want to be responsible for propagating dirty rumors or false information that can't be corroborated. I'd rather let Judith Miller and the New York Times do that. Nonetheless, in the past 24 hours I have been contacted by three separate congressional Democrats in Washington, and a Justice Department official, first by e-mail and later phone, who all say the same thing: Karl Rove is about to be indicted.

All this comes on the heels of events that transpired over the weekend, as two different individuals, journalist Michael Isikoff and political commentator Lawrence O'Donnell, both claimed that Karl Rove might have been responsible for leaking the identity of an undercover CIA officer's identity to Matt Cooper of Time magazine. Isikoff claims that Cooper talked to Rove during the period that Valerie Plame's identity was leaked, but there is still no proof that Rove was the culprit. As Isikoff of Newsweek wrote on July 3:

“The e-mails surrendered by Time Inc., which are largely between Cooper and his editors, show that one of Cooper's sources was White House deputy chief of staff Karl Rove, according to two lawyers who asked not to be identified because they are representing witnesses sympathetic to the White House. Cooper and a Time spokeswoman declined to comment. But in an interview with Newsweek, Rove's lawyer, Robert Luskin, confirmed that Rove had been interviewed by Cooper for the article.”

If it turns out that Rove did leak Plame’s identity to Cooper, it still does not necessarily mean that he was also Robert Novak's inside guy, although it surely raises suspicion. The indictment, as I am told, will most likely be of felony weight. In fact, Karl Rove may be accused of perjury, as Bush's top strategist told a grand jury that he was not responsible for leaking Plame's identity to Time.

So the charge may not be for leaking top-secret information to the press, but for perjuring himself.

Sources also all say that this indictment is likely to come down either late this week or early next week. Of course Rove's lawyer denies that his client ever “knowingly” handed over classified information to the media, or is the “target” of any investigation. Perhaps Rove “unknowingly” leaked the information, and he's the “subject” rather than a “target” of an investigation. Time will tell.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who has been leaked this information either. Over at Redstate, a right-wing Internet blog, one member who calls himself “Ohsure”, also claims that “[four] Great sources confirmed” the matter, and later added: “I not only don't do this, I have never done this. But here it is; ‘Karl Rove will be indicted late this, or early next week.’ I'm trusting a source. So either I am made a [sic] into an overzealous horses a**, or..., I have good sources and may be more trusted to get these things right.”

Ditto.
                            -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander

No it's not, which is why so many white collar crimes are not prosecuted. It's much easier to prove X happened than to prove X happened because Mr. Y wanted to do Z.
                              Ok, I was speaking from personal experience...

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

Incidentally, you do realize that Judith Miller is a right wing reporter, don't you?
                                While I understand your desire to correct Oggie, Im not sure thats a fair charecterization of Judith Miller.
                                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                                X