ICANN neutered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pchang
    What we really need is an authority that no one minds ceding authority to. If the US keeps losing ground in international affairs, it is just asking for the establishment of renegade root servers and a bifurcating of the internet.

Google!

Comment

Hmm ... actually, I'm a bit surprised China hasn't tried to set up its own miniature version of the Internet, considering the government's penchant for attempting to control the flow of information in and out of that nation.

What's stopping Beijing from doing just that?

Gatekeeper
      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

? well, china and korea, among other east asian countries, already sort of do that.

in korea, you can type in hangul internet addresses, and they resolve properly. and, as i understand it, you can sort of do that in china with their characters as well.
        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
          ? well, china and korea, among other east asian countries, already sort of do that.

in korea, you can type in hangul internet addresses, and they resolve properly. and, as i understand it, you can sort of do that in china with their characters as well.
          Long long time ago when the dotcom craze was in full swing, at least one company came up with the idea of having domain names in Chinese. However that would involve setting up root DNS servers that other DNS servers recognise, and that was not going to happen.

Nowadays I don't think China has done it, either. Not very useful if it only works in China.

The way forward is switch all root servers to Unicode. However I don't know when that will happen. Hell, IPv6 has been around for years and nobody uses it.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
          X