ICANN neutered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICANN neutered

Apparently, US has no intention of giving up control over the Internet.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_DNS_root to the rescue!
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Though hardly surprising. not sure what are the real benefits, though.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

We keep what is ours. Big deal.

Comment

While I do support the idea of making the Internet an international property, historically international regulatory bodies are not effective so I'm not comfortable about transferring the control.

So far Internet seems to be doing just fine where it is, no?
          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

ICANN is a miserable pile of rhino dung.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I guess its ICANNT now...

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I'd cautiously positive about this, in the sense that I still trust the United States government FAR, FAR more than any international body you can name (an international body which could and probably would contain extreme left wingers, communists, etc.).
                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

We need an international panel to oversee the Internet. Knowing how the United Nations operates, panel members would likely include:

China
                  Iran
                  France
                  Venezuela
                  Zimbabwe

Gatekeeper
                  "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Don't be silly, we all know Henry van Statten owns the internet.
                    B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                      I'd cautiously positive about this, in the sense that I still trust the United States government FAR, FAR more than any international body you can name (an international body which could and probably would contain extreme left wingers, communists, etc.).

Comment

The last part was a joke.

Mostly.

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

What we really need is an authority that no one minds ceding authority to. If the US keeps losing ground in international affairs, it is just asking for the establishment of renegade root servers and a bifurcating of the internet.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by pchang
                            What we really need is an authority that no one minds ceding authority to. If the US keeps losing ground in international affairs, it is just asking for the establishment of renegade root servers and a bifurcating of the internet.
                            While that is a worrying possibility, ICANN, as it is set up right now, isn't some organisation you want to trust anyway, if its past actions are any guide.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I don't see how setting it up as a fully independent body will correct the current shortcomings.
                              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                              X