Next number in this sequence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next number in this sequence

We have a lot of brilliant minds here, that's been demonstrated time and time again.

So I'm sure that someone will be able to solve this little puzzle also. It's one of 78 questions in the Danish Armed Forces' IQ test for prospective recruits. It is rumoured that none of the 2 million men who've taken the test over the past 50 years, have managed to answer every question correctly. But anyway.

What is the next number in this sequence, and why?

572,937 - 84,632 - 4,657 - 624 - 38 - ?

If you want to be a good sport about it, post your answer and explanation in spoiler tags, like this, but with better spelling... [spooiler]bla-bla[/spooiler].

I'll give the answer and explanation at Noon GMT tomorrow.

Spoiler:
    I get 1 (10, 100, 1000, etc, would also work, but don't follow the pattern of losing one digit with each number). If you sum up all the digits of each number, you get: 33, 23, 22, 12, 11. The tens and ones decrease every other time, so the next one should be 01.
    "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

[q]We have a lot of brilliant minds here, ^/q]

Do tell 'cause I've been looking high and low yet found nothing.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Do they use a calculator?

Comment

Spoiler:
          add 572937=33 add 84632=23 add 4657=22 add 624=12 add 38=11 thus
          33 23 22 12 11 ... 33-23= 10 23-22= 1 22-12= 10 12-11= 1 11-...=... thus
          difference -10 -1 -10 -1 ... most likely will be a -10 differencethus 11-...=10 ...= 11-10 ...=1 ok making a number out of 1 most likely looking at the losing a digit of the other steps this will just be 1

best way of writing this down I believe after the adding of the seperate number is something like this X(n)= X(n-1)+(10/T) where T : X(2n)=10 and T: X(2n+1)=1...you can probably also write is differently and also probably something for the first step (taking apart the number in single digits and counting them)

DBTS
          Bunnies!
          Welcome to the DBTSverse!
          God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
          'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Well that is plain ridiculous for an exam question...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              Well that is plain ridiculous for an exam question...
              Well you're plain ridiculous for not being able to figure out this is not an exam question.

It's one of 78 questions in an IQ test, used to determine if young men are fit for military service, and if so, I imagine to give a pointer as to what positions they would fit into. If I remember correctly, you have something like 50 minutes for the test.

Comment

nvm... I read the spoilers... honestly I'd have put the same number, but just guessing... I just had the feeling it fit

Comment

Originally posted by Winston

Well you're plain ridiculous for not being able to figure out this is not an exam question.

It's one of 78 questions in an IQ test, used to determine if young men are fit for military service, and if so, I imagine to give a pointer as to what positions they would fit into. If I remember correctly, you have something like 50 minutes for the test.
                  I remember that one... I got all the numeric questions but that one correct when I was draftet.

I did get a very satisfactory total score. In fact they tried to get me to sign up as an officer, which I refused.
                  http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Spoiler:

The answer is 1, but the question is stupid
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I was very close because I had already tried that approach but stopped half the way through because there didn't seem to be a system. Now there's one more proof I give up too early. Just like in real life.

Comment

Yes, the answer is 1.

And the explanations posted by Edan and DeathByTheSword are also correct.

First we see that the answer should be single-digit, since the preceeding numbers have 6, 5, 4, 3 and 2 digits respectively.

Then by summing up the digits of the numbers given, and summing up the digits in those results, we get sums of 6, 5, 4, 3 and 2.

So the only single digit number that would fit in the seguence is... 1.

Saw it on a newspaper website here, where the journalist had managed to figure out that the answer was "1", but couldn't explain why. And so he finally got a hold of the military guy in charge of the test, who would only confirm that the answer was correct, but not WHY. (Presumably as not to compromise the actual test question.) So the journalist asked the readers of the paper to mail in if the had the explanation and got 2,000 replies, many of which were right on. But the newspaper guy must be really stupid, since he posed the question as "What's the last number in this sequence: 572,937 - 84,632 - 4,657 - 624 - 38 - ", and so one guy mailed him and said "38, I think".

If anybody has any other puzzles etc., feel free to post them, challenge your fellow posters' intellect a little.

Comment

Here is one I saw in the paper the other day:

Convert the word at the top to the word at the bottom, but only changing one letter at a time:

Poodle
                          ------
                          ------
                          ------
                          ------
                          ------
                          Canoes
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Poodle
                            Coodle
                            Condle
                            Candle
                            Canole
                            Canols
                            Canoes
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

A lot of those aren't real words!

But you're right, I never said they had to be real words I thought it was stupid...usually they require some amount of skill
                              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                              X