Go for it Blair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spiffor

Not quite. The rebate is linked with UK's relative poverty during the 80ies. Blair made it look like it is linked to the CAP, which was a brilliant move. However, it doesn't make it true (the CAP is now twice less important in the EU's budget than in 1984, and the rebate is calculated all the same).
    I'd argue it is linked to the CAP, since the relative strength of French agriculture implies that British money will largely head to France.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

Not quite. The rebate is linked with UK's relative poverty during the 80ies. Blair made it look like it is linked to the CAP, which was a brilliant move. However, it doesn't make it true (the CAP is now twice less important in the EU's budget than in 1984, and the rebate is calculated all the same).
      A country suffering from relative poverty shouldn't have to demand a rebate; the rebate is a consequence of the EU's broken spending policies, and the CAP is the main reason the spending policies are broken.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
        maybe it's just me, but france's 'concession' of raising their retirement age in exchange for the CAP, sounds a bit like me agreeing with my neighbour that he'll keep paying me £100 if i'll mow my lawn.
        Thats an analogy, right?

Comment

"The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

"Some have suggested I want to abandon Europe's social model," Blair told the European Parliament last month. "But tell me: what type of social model is it that has 20 million unemployed in Europe, productivity rates falling behind those of the United States; that is allowing more science graduates to be produced by India than by Europe; and that, on any relative index of a modern economy -- skills, R&D, patents, IT -- is going down not up."

The Washington Times delivers breaking news and commentary on the issues that affect the future of our nation.

KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Go! Go! Go!
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

The rebate is there in part becasue we trade more with non eu countries and revenue is raised in part from trade levies
                Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Working...
                X