Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go for it Blair

And damn the torpedoes.

He says: “It is not just that the Commission fails to explain what the EU is for . . . Its modus operandi displays an outrageous lack of common sense . . . It became intolerable to work within what had come to seem like a bureaucratic nightmare that makes Whitehall look a model of simple efficiency.”
    UK's presidency
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Both these big issues could easily be left for the Austrian and Finnish presidencies to grapple with in 2006.

But instead the UK seems determined to put on a display worthy of the memory of Waterloo and Trafalgar, or even the heroic but pointless Charge of the Light Brigade.
    And the French in la-la-land

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

A 40-point plan to explain Europe to the French has been submitted to the government - a month after voters rejected the EU treaty.

The proposals include a European stamp, a medal of honour, exams on Europe for schoolchildren and an EU sports event.

The report blames the defeat of the "Yes" vote in the referendum on the failure of information campaigns.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

40-point plan?

Go UK. You can't do much in 4.5 months, but at least the debate could be advanced somewhat.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

They have 6 months. But of course, the UK presidency will probably achieve nothing. No European leader wants Blair to have any success. Let's wait for the Austrian presidency.

Comment

There's something I find absolutely great with the budget row. Basically, many here believe that Chirac is an evil immobilist who won't budge on the CAP because of his love for French farmers.

Nobody realises (true, there's no attention shown to it) that Chirac is defending a 2002 agreement, for which he paid a hefty price. In 2002, we agreed to privatize our energy markets (which runs completely opposite to our values), and we agreed to push back our retirement age to 65 years. In return, we obtained to keep the CAP as it is until 2013.

I'm the first to think it's completely stupid (we should have fought much less for the CAP, and we should have kept our energy markets as they are). But unless you think Chirac should now say "OK, we make a deal on the CAP, and we stop the privatization process now", it's completely stupid to expect Chirac to budge on the CAP.

I personally wouldn't mind such a scenario, but the Rosbifs would scream like gutted pigs if we made such a move.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Also, about the "French in la-la-land", you do realise this parliamentary report (initiated 6 months ago) has nothing to do with the budget, or even with the future of Europe? It's about creating European symbols for the French public to feel closer to the EU.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
            I personally wouldn't mind such a scenario, but the Rosbifs would scream like gutted pigs if we made such a move.
            But France started gunning for the rebate.

Comment

Nobody realises (true, there's no attention shown to it) that Chirac is defending a 2002 agreement, for which he paid a hefty price. In 2002, we agreed to privatize our energy markets (which runs completely opposite to our values), and we agreed to push back our retirement age to 65 years. In return, we obtained to keep the CAP as it is until 2013.
              I don't recall that energy liberalisation, nor pensions were part of the deal cobbled together in 2002. In fact, I don't think there was any pressure at all from the commission or other EU members to French retirement age. I don't see why there would be.
              There was a push to reform CAP, largely motivated by the upcoming WTO-talks in Doha, but France and Germany teamed up to water down the reform proposals.

And that this agreement exists doesn't mean it should be defended for the sake of it.

Also, about the "French in la-la-land", you do realise this parliamentary report (initiated 6 months ago) has nothing to do with the budget, or even with the future of Europe? It's about creating European symbols for the French public to feel closer to the EU.
              The survey was started 6 month ago, but they comment about the referendum regardless, and put the blame on lack of information.
              I bought that stuff too 4-5 years ago, that people just don't like the EU because they simply don't understand it. Since then I've come to realise it would be quite helpful if the workings of the EU wouldn't be so byzantine and arcane in the first place.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                But France started gunning for the rebate.
                Yup. With the precise intent of isolating the UK, and making sure the European Council would achieve nothing. The first aim wasn't perfectly reached (Blair's counterattack was brilliant, I don't think he could have turned the tide any more favourably to him, considering how unpopular the Uk rebate is), but the second aim was reached with a stunning success.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon
                  I don't recall that energy liberalisation, nor pensions were part of the deal cobbled together in 2002. In fact, I don't think there was any pressure at all from the commission or other EU members to French retirement age. I don't see why there would be.
                  Remember Barcelona 2002.

And that this agreement exists doesn't mean it should be defended for the sake of it.

No, but if we are to change the agreement in France's disfavour, France should have its "money back", or more accurately its bargaining chips back. We made concessions for something 3 years ago, and it's pretty normal that we won't easily agree on losing what we paid so much for.

The survey was started 6 month ago, but they comment about the referendum regardless, and put the blame on lack of information.

This is typical crap from the Yes side, who are sure that reason is on the yes side, and that the No side is full of instinct that must be tamed. I agree that a large part of the yes side is in la-la-land about the motivations of the Non, and they apparently deserve yet another kick in the arse until they understand what's going on. I called you on that because I thought you were making fun of the proposals as if they thought of themselves as about the future of Europe.
                  If it was a misunderstanding, then sorry

I bought that stuff too 4-5 years ago, that people just don't like the EU because they simply don't understand it. Since then I've come to realise it would be quite helpful if the workings of the EU wouldn't be so byzantine and arcane in the first place.
                  I fully agree. This is one of the reasons I opposed this constitution. And I do believe I have some understanding of how the EU works

Comment

Blair follows a secret plot for British world dominance - first the EU, now I read he could take on the US over the global warning issue on the G8 summit .....

Soon we all have to speak English.....
                    Blah

Comment

I wonder how Blair, who could not live in the EU without the veto, could achieve anything as President.

Oh yes, he can convince 24 members to check that their veto is working.
                      Statistical anomaly.
                      The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

maybe it's just me, but france's 'concession' of raising their retirement age in exchange for the CAP, sounds a bit like me agreeing with my neighbour that he'll keep paying me £100 if i'll mow my lawn.

not much of a concession if you ask me.
                        Last edited by C0ckney; July 1, 2005, 07:18.
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Yup. With the precise intent of isolating the UK, and making sure the European Council would achieve nothing. The first aim wasn't perfectly reached (Blair's counterattack was brilliant, I don't think he could have turned the tide any more favourably to him, considering how unpopular the Uk rebate is), but the second aim was reached with a stunning success.
                          My point was that by gunning for the rebate, France has no business complaining about 'agreements' - since the rebate is intimately linked with CAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                            My point was that by gunning for the rebate, France has no business complaining about 'agreements' - since the rebate is intimately linked with CAP.
                            Not quite. The rebate is linked with UK's relative poverty during the 80ies. Blair made it look like it is linked to the CAP, which was a brilliant move. However, it doesn't make it true (the CAP is now twice less important in the EU's budget than in 1984, and the rebate is calculated all the same).

Comment

Remember Barcelona 2002.
                              Barcelona wasn't when the agreement we're talking about was settled. They just settled a list of priorities and outlines there.

Comment

Working...
                              X