Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting non sequiter.

Comment

• Hell, let's look at what I've said: first, I point out that chegitz' suggestion that "every nuclear power should be a permanent seat on the UNSC" would put Israel there. Then I took a couple shots at you. Then I pointed out that GePap hadn't actually pwned Drake. Then I took more shots at you. Hm, despite all of your rants about Bush lying and such, it seems I'm silent on that issue... because after three years of debates about it on Poly, I don't care any more. As far as I'm concerned, it's been debated to death.

Comment

• Sure.

Speaking of which, your membership to my fan club is at a discount of only $19.99, as we are offering a special membership to employee relatives of the Law Offices of Horowitz & Horowitz.
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I'm not gay.

Comment

• I believe you Kuciwalker, millions wouldn't.

The lady doth protest too much.

Tom Cruise isn't gay either.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The lady doth protest too much.

No no no, get it straight. I wouldn't be both gay and female.

Comment

• I believe you.

Comment

• Unless you're a woman. Is that what you're saying?

Comment

• Would you like me to be?

Comment

• Dose anyone here realize this whole debate is MOOT. The Security Council will never change because it takes a Unanimous vote to change the permanant membership. We can argue about what countries "deserve" a seat or would be "better" then current members untill we are blue in the fingers and it wont do squat. No nation on the Security council would vote to admit a new perminent member unless that new country was practicaly in their pocket, at which point the others would veto it. A hypetheticaly nutral country (Brazil and India come to mind as being somewhat independent) would simply introduce unpredictable elements into something that no one wants to be unpredictable. The only way this would be done is if the very fabric of the worlds Geo-politcs was about to unravel and adding members was the only way to avert WWIII, I dont see that on the horizon any time soon.
                      Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

I can, however, interpret his posting history to do so...
                        From your statement, obviously not.

But its cute that the Boy protects his (lap) Dog.

Just don't go around eating people cause he told you to do so.
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• There's no need to be bitter, GePap...
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• 'G-4' submits resolution on UNSC, finds just 23 backers

Japan, Germany, India and Brazil jointly submitted a resolution Wednesday at U.N. headquarters in New York to expand the U.N. Security Council, with only 23 other members listed as joint backers.

The four nations, coined the "Group of Four," submitted the resolution despite uncertainty over whether it would get the two-thirds approval, or 128 votes, needed for adoption by the U.N. General Assembly.

Foreign Minister Nobutaka Machimura will head to London to meet with his G-4 counterparts Saturday to discuss their next move, and with nations from Africa to solicit their support.

Japan hopes to begin deliberations on the resolution at the U.N. General Assembly on Monday.

According to the resolution, the UNSC would add six new permanent seats: two for Asian nations, two for African nations and one each from Central or South America, and Western Europe or some other region. The new permanent members would not have veto power for 15 years.

Four new rotating seats would be allocated to nations from Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe, and Central or South America.

Although the G-4 initially wanted to get about 100 nations to sign the resolution as joint proposers, they could only get 23, including France, Greece and Poland.

No nations in Asia, where Japan has provided official development assistance for decades and hoped to gather support, signed the resolution.

The number of joint proposers "seems to be somewhat small," said Senior Vice Foreign Minister Shuzen Tanigawa in a news conference.

A senior Foreign Ministry official admitted the G-4 faces an uphill battle and the prospects for the resolution were "severe."

The number reflects a sharp division among U.N. member states. Italy, Pakistan and other nations oppose the G-4 resolution. China, which is against Japan's candidacy for the UNSC, also lobbied against it.

The United States is meanwhile reluctant to expand the power in the UNSC because adding new members will slow its decision-making process. Washington hopes to shelve the UNSC expansion and deal with other U.N. reform proposals.

The G-4 has been trying to get a joint resolution going in conjunction with 53 African nations, but coordination has proven difficult.

Earlier this week, the African Union agreed to submit a separate resolution calling for the U.N. to add six new permanent seats and five rotating seats to the UNSC, with two representing African states in each category.

The G-4 decided to submit its resolution Wednesday because the four states want it adopted by the end of the month, Japanese officials said. U.N. procedures will slow in August as many officials take summer vacation.

They also feared they would lose more votes if they waited any longer, given the aggressive lobbying by China and other nations, they said.

If the G-4 resolution is adopted, the next step would be to elect the nations to be added, another senior ministry official said.

The G-4 resolution states that Asia will be allocated two new seats. Japan and India are expected to run for the race, but other Asian nations may also step forward as candidates.

After the new members are elected, the General Assembly would probably draft a revision to the U.N. Charter granting an expansion of the UNSC with the names of the new permanent members, the official said.

The revision would need two-thirds support, or 128 votes, from the General Assembly to be adopted. It also needs to be ratified by two-thirds of the U.N. member states, including all five permanent UNSC members. This process is expected to take several years.

The Japan Times: July 8, 2005
                            (C) All rights reserved
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• I could care less whether some sheltered kid thinks I'm right, left, center, or upside down.
                              How are you any less deserving of the "sheltered kid" label?
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X