No announcement yet.

Schroeder seeks Bush's support for the Security Council

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was responding to your initial statement that Germany's more active internationally, which is a matter of debate. Militarily, there's no question, but that isn't what you initially stated.
    B♭3

Comment

Yes, I said there Germany is more active internationally than Japan. And then I questioned whether the reason behind that matters. Wanna run through it again?
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Germany today provides the most troops (behind the US) for UN peace keeping missions. That's the reason, why Germany should be in.

However, I'm personally against a permanent seat. These troops out there are a waste of money. Reducing the military budget.

Schröder will probably lose in September, but you can be sure that the new government will try to get a permanent seat as well.

Comment

Militarily, there's no question, but that isn't what you initially stated.

I don't even know about that. Germany helped in Afghanistan, Japan is helping in Iraq. Germany sents troops to the Balkans, Japan sent troops to Cambodia. Seem to be running about equal recently...
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Schroeder bashing is so 2003
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Bush bashing is so 2001.

Comment

Bush Bashing is en vogue.

Some of us were onto the trend before it was pop culture cool.
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Dude, bashing Bush was popular years before you flipped out...
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You been out of the country for too long.

Bush bashing was confined to political opponents.

Now the common man realizes what a dork he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                      Some of us were onto the trend before it was pop culture cool.
                      Yeah, but you aren't one of 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                        Militarily, there's no question, but that isn't what you initially stated.

I don't even know about that. Germany helped in Afghanistan, Japan is helping in Iraq. Germany sents troops to the Balkans, Japan sent troops to Cambodia. Seem to be running about equal recently...
                        Iraq doesn´t count,
                        as it was the result of a war started illegally by the USA
                        (without the O.K. of the UNSC )

Well, although I think that Germany deserves to be a permanent member of the UNSC, I´m against it,
                        because it is just the institution of permanent seats with veto rights, which makes the Security Council a farce, as you just have to be a permanent member (or on really good standings with a permanent member) to block any decisions against your own country (even if these decisions would be justified, because, for example, you act as an aggressor against your peaceful neighbors)
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                          Schroeder bashing is so 2003
                          The new trend for 2006 - Merkel bashing.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Iraq doesn't count,
                            (without the O.K. of the UNSC )

So was Kosovo...
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Iraq doesn't count,
                              (without the O.K. of the UNSC or of ANY international organization, unlike Kosovo, which was blessed by NATO )

Edited for greater clarity.

The US probably does not support a German seat because that would mean too many Europeans.

As for DanS's assertions: The idea that Japan is more "militarilly" capable is a rather fanciful one. Neither country has much force projection capability, but then neither does China and it never really has since 1945, so the notion that UN security council seats are given oput based on military heft is, well, wrong.

Countries give to the UN ona formula based on how big your economy is, since Japan has a bigger economy, it of course gives more money. That is not hard to figure out either.

India or Brazil or South Africa would all make better addition to the SC than Japan, thought addition of more countries than one would be OK.
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

NATO has no more right to wage agressive war without UNSC approval than the United States does.
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X